Tuesday, November 09, 2010

La Cage Captures Harvey Fierstein

La Cage Captures Harvey Fierstein

In one of this year's most inspired casting decisions, the producers of the current revival of La Cage Aux Folles announced today that Harvey Fierstein will replace Tony Award-winning actor Douglas Hodge as Albin starting February 15, 2011, for twelve weeks.

Fierstein won his third Tony Award for writing the book for La Cage Aux Folles back in 1984. The tuner would not only win that year's Tony for Best Musical, but would go on to become the only musical in Tony history to win Best Revival for each successive production -- both in 2005 and again this year.

Surprisingly, for all his acting honors, Fierstein has never before acted in a production of La Cage. His presence come February will certainly make me want to return again.

The only question remains, who will replace Kelsey Grammer after he leaves the show on February 13? If the producers really want to carry their inspiration to the Nth degree, how about bringing on Arthur Laurents, director of the original production? He may be a cantankerous senior and may not have liked the current incarnation, but it would be a hoot to see him tackle the stage.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).


In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post.
Powered by FeedBurner

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 09 November, 2010, Blogger Alicia said...

Ah! I would love see Harvey tackle Albin. Certainly a different take on the role but one I would be interested in seeing. :)

 
At 10 November, 2010, Blogger Esther said...

I don't usually see a show twice just because there's always something new. But I adore La Cage - the story is heartfelt and the songs are beautiful. I'd love to see it again with Harvey. Considering he wrote the book, what a unique opportunity! I thought he was terrific the two previous times I've seen him - in Hairspray and A Catered Affair. Really, I'd see Harvey in anything!

 
At 10 November, 2010, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

I do NOT want to hear Harvey try to sing I AM WHAT I AM.

 
At 11 November, 2010, Blogger Linda said...

I'm with Sarah. Just because he wrote the book, doesn't mean he can sing the part.

 
At 11 November, 2010, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Ah, but Harvey is who he is and what he is is no illusion. While he may not sing like other Broadway stars, the fact is, he can sing. I think he'll knock it out of the park in his own unique way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner