Friday, October 01, 2010

Whom Would You Cast In August: Osage County Film?


Whom Would You Cast In August: Osage County Film?

Production is still close to nine months away on the upcoming silver screen incarnation of Tracy Letts' August: Osage County

But that hasn't stopped Entertainment Weekly from already placing the "Best Film Ever" label on the flick. That's because word has leaked that Meryl Streep is in negotiations to play Violet Weston, while Julie Roberts is in talks to portray Violet's daughter Barbara. 

It's already been over two years since Variety first confirmed that Letts was revisiting his work by writing the screenplay. Fantasy casting for the big screen version of the work began more than a half year earlier. 

The Chicago Tribune's very own theatre critic Chris Jones wins the early prize, having distinguished himself two and a half years ago for presciently saying on January 28, 2008, that his dream casting would include Meryl Streep as Violet and Julia Roberts as Barbara!

Since he was so spot on with those choices, take a look at the rest of his picks.

As for me, if Deanna Dunagan and Amy Morton aren't going to be cast, I can think of no other actress more capable of delivering Violet than Meryl Streep, who is perhaps the greatest living actress on the planet. Julia Roberts may be the world's biggest movie star, but I'm not entirely convinced she has the chops to take on Barbara. If she is cast, I hope to be proven wrong.

Additionally, I'm still holding out hope that the film version, to be directed by John Wells, will include at least a couple of the original cast members from Steppenwolf. My top choice? Rondi Reed to recreate her Tony-winning turn as Aunt Mattie Fae Aiken. 

It's your turn to weigh in on whom you'd cast. Whom do you believe should round out this dysfunctional family in a movie theater near you? (My friend Kevin Daly of Theatre Aficionado At Large has already weighed in here.)

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).


In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 01 October, 2010, Anonymous Tyler said...

I actually think Meryl Streep will make an amazing Violet Weston, as well as bring in the $$$ to the box office.

As for Julia Roberts, I'd love to see Amy Morton reprise her role on the screen, or Laura Linney, who I think could tackle the part of Barbara fearlessly and effectively.

Who knows, though - maybe Ms. Roberts will surprise us all? We'll see who's in charge when the movie is out!

 
At 01 October, 2010, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Tyler, I love the Laura Linney idea. I also think that if they can't get Rondi Reed, my second choice would be Kathy Bates.

 
At 01 October, 2010, Blogger Kevin Daly said...

Laura Linney is, in my estimation, the best choice for Barbara among established Hollywood actresses.

Again, a taping of the original cast would trump all!

 
At 01 October, 2010, Anonymous Morton said...

You know, I saw Roberts in the film version of Closer and I thought she was quite superb. I'm interested to see what she will do with this. She's seen the play and supposedly has been circling this role for a long time.

 
At 01 October, 2010, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Morton, Like I said, I hope if she is cast that I'm completely proven wrong.

 
At 01 October, 2010, Blogger Esther said...

I only saw A:OC once, with the original cast and the experience was so imprinted on my brain that I think whoever's cast in the movie, they're going to seem a little "off" to me! I guess that's partly my questioning of Meryl Streep.

But as much as I loved Deanna Dunagan, Amy Morton and Rondi Reed, et. al., I have to be open to different interpretations and realize that the movie will be a different experience.

Anyway, my cast would include:

Violet: Annette Bening
Barbara: Laurie Metcalf
Ivy: Amy Adams

And as Steve Heidebrecht, Kevin Spacey! I cannot fantasy cast a movie without a role for Kevin. ;-)

 
At 04 October, 2010, Anonymous Timothy Childs said...

Meryl has been vying for this role since she saw the show -- and she will, inevitably, be terrific. As would the original Broadway cast. Though, I have to say, Estelle Parsons blew me away when she took over for Deanna Dunagan.

As for dream casting, Esther's choices of Amy Adams and Annette Benning are fabulous.

- Timothy Childs
http://iblogbroadway.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner