Thursday, August 07, 2008

August: Osage County - Coming To A Movie Theatre Near You

August: Osage County - Coming To A Movie Theatre Near You

On Tuesday, Variety confirmed that Tracy Letts' August: Osage County will be transformed into a film with the Tony-winner author writing the screenplay. Hallelujah for that!

August: Osage County not only earned the Tony for Best Play, but it also earned Letts a well-deserved Pulitzer Prize for Drama.

You can bet that the all-out campaigning for each of its juicy, fully-realized roles has already begun among Hollywood's biggest stars. Indeed, producer Jean Doumanian is quoted in the Variety piece, noting:
So many actors and stars have come to see it on Broadway, and we've gotten inquiries. People are enthusiastic about the film version.
While I personally would love to see every last one of the original cast recreate their indelible character images for the film version, the realist in me fully appreciates that the stakes are so high that few, if any, will be invited to participate.

The fantasy casting for a bigscreen version of August: Osage County began in earnest in January as Chicago Tribune's Chris Jones shared his early picks.

Yesterday, our dear Modern Fabulousity offered his own wagers, including his bet that the role of Violet would go to either the 59 year old Meryl Streep or the 63 year old Helen Mirren. I do adore Meryl Streep, but given that her facial characteristics may be difficult to match up with supposed members of her family, I'd give it to Mirren by a nose.

Personally, I thought the most inspired comment ModFab received was from ShoNuff of Fo' Sho', who proffered that Kathy Bates would be perfect for Mattie Fae -- I'd agree completely, but only if I knew Rondi Reed wasn't available.

So, dear readers, two questions. First, who would you most like to see in each of the coveted roles, and second, who do you believe is most likely to be cast?

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , , ,

16 Comments:

At 07 August, 2008, Blogger Kevin Daly said...

Perhaps not necessarily for film, but I would love to see Dianne Wiest as Violet at some point whether in NY or regionally.

 
At 07 August, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

TAAL, I could definitely see Dianne Wiest as Violet ... and given the way she looks, I can suddenly imagine Renée Zellweger as Ivy.

 
At 07 August, 2008, Blogger JESSICA TAGHAP said...

I have yet to even see the stage production...this proves that I really am always the last to find out about these things.

I've only recently found out about the "Doubt" and "Nine" films, as well!

 
At 07 August, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

TAFKAJ: You really must go see August: Osage County. It's the fastest 3 1/2 hours you'll spend in a theatre, but it's all worthwhile.

As a huge fan of both Doubt and Nine, I'm really looking forward to the film versions.

 
At 07 August, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be willing to bet that Meryl Streep will get the role. It's the kind of role she loves to play, she'd be a casting agent's dream and she can play anything- she even played an elderly rabbi in ANGELS IN AMERICA....

 
At 07 August, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

BB, So who do you think they'd be able to cast as her daughters? And sister?

 
At 07 August, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

I was thinking about Rachel Griffiths as Barbara. The only drawback might be that the role is a bit like the character she plays on Brothers & Sisters. And as Modern Fabulousity mentioned, I'd like to see Amy Adams as Ivy.

 
At 08 August, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Methinks Rachel Griffiths (age 39) is a little young for the role of Barbara. Perhaps better for Ivy, who is supposed to be in her early 40s.

 
At 08 August, 2008, Blogger Kevin Daly said...

Ooh Rachel Griffiths. What an excellent idea, especially if she plays opposite Helen Mirren.

The possibilities are really endless, aren't they?

I'm back to see Estelle again in a couple weeks. Can't wait.

 
At 10 August, 2008, Blogger paul said...

I think that it is a given, the role will go to Streep. She has gotten everything: "Doubt" "Mamma Mia" and now "Osage" Of course, Mirren would be dynamite and I would love to see her. If I were casting, it would be Parsons. However, it's all about the boxoffice and moviegoers go for names.

 
At 11 August, 2008, Blogger JESSICA TAGHAP said...

SOB, thanks for the recommendation; I really have been meaning to see the stage production for quite a while...

I had the opportunity to see "Doubt" during its run, and I'm wondering why they don't just use Eileen Atkins for the film as well, seeing as how she practically owned the role, AND she's a film actress as well? God only knows I love Streep, but she's already had Mamma Mia! Share the wealth, Meryl...share the wealth.

(I am, however, excited to see Amy Adams in this. BIG FAN.)

 
At 15 August, 2008, Blogger Teresa said...

Hi from Lisbon, Portugal!

I usually read SOB, but this is my first comment here.

I'll be glad to give my contribution when I'll come back from a short trip to New York, within two weeks, for I have tickets for the play (and for the revivals of Gypsy and South Pacific as well).

 
At 08 October, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, I'm late, but here we go...Streep as Vi, Amy Ryan as Barb, Amy Adams as Ivy, William H Macy as Bill, Tommy Lee Jones as Charlie (or Bill Muray) and Bates as Mattie Fay...and, yes, I wish it could all be OBC members!

 
At 08 October, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Great selections, Nick! I'm all for Kathy Bates as Mattie Fae IF they don't select Rondi Reed.

 
At 22 July, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The play was shallow - it had as much depth as an episode of "Mama's Family" with Vicki Lawrence. I sat there predicting every moment: Now the mother will have her monologue, now she'll end up alone and play the phonograph, now she'll crawl up the stairs to the attic. I loved the actress who played the daughter - her entire characterization consisted of running her hands through her hair.

People gushed because there's nothing better around, but that doesn't mean it was good. It was more camp than insightful.

Never believed one minute. Steppenwolff specializes in white trash plays where the actors scream alot.

 
At 22 July, 2009, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Anonymous, Even though I respectfully disagree, I do appreciate your comments and hearing an opposing point of view.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner