Monday, September 27, 2010

Yes, It's True. It Was Me. I Was Susan Blackwelled!

Photo Courtesy of Peter Gibbons
Yes, It's True. It Was Me. I Was Susan Blackwell-ed!

Yesterday seemed like the perfect day to be out in Shubert Alley in support of the 24th Annual Broadway Flea Market & Grand Auction, benefitting Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS (BC/EFA).

In addition to all the glorious stars from Broadway's firmament, what I loved about the day was the opportunity to see many friends, including theatre bloggers Kevin Daly (Theatre Aficionado at Large), Linda Buchwald (Pataphysical Science), Byrne Harrison (Stage Buzz) and Elisa Schneider (Willing To Be Lucky), and meet other theatre bloggers like Jodi Schoenbrun Carter (Off-Stage Right) and Andrew Asnes (Theater Advisor).

But certainly the highlight for me, personally, was donating to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, an organization that is doing so much for so many. To that end, in addition to buying items from various tables, as well as ponying up ten dollars here and there for a chance to have my photo taken with a few of the assembled Broadway stars, my biggest donation came as a surprise even to me.

I had left the event to see a show, only to come back and find a live auction in high gear. [title of show] star Susan Blackwell was up on the stage -- with Heidi Blickenstaff at her side --  auctioning off something. But I wasn't quite sure. It all seemed so very spirited when I arrived, and the bidding was already in the $200 range. I asked someone standing next to me what they were auctioning off. She told me it was a chance to get licked by Susan Blackwell.

"Of course!" I thought. I completely forgot that I had read on Broadway.com that she would offer up one of her famous face-lickings to the highest bidder. I couldn't resist, especially since I knew I had wanted to make a real tangible donation to BC/EFA and had not yet had the opportunity that day.

Photo Courtesy of Peter Gibbons
So I stuck my hand up. I'm not sure exactly when, but I think it was around the $450 mark. Each time I was outbid, I'd either nod or give a subtle signal to Susan Blackwell that I was still in it, and up the bidding went until she finally reached a threshold that seemed to surprise her where she asked the two highest bidders (including me) if we'd both donate that amount so both of us could be Susan Blackwelled.

We both eagerly agreed, and next thing I knew I was up on the stage. Proving why I'm not in entertainment, she asked me to state my name and I could hardly blurt it out. "My name is Steve." She asked me a quick question and I blurted out a reference to her [title of show] character that seemed to be lost of the audience, and she asked me what I did so I could donate that amount. I told her I was in PR (a profession that has in fact been very good to me).

Photo Courtesy of Peter Gibbons
Then Susan Blackwell proceeded to provide a nice and soft slow lick down the left side of my face. Then she got on my right side and did the same thing down my right cheek. But wait! There's more! She licked across my forehead and then down the ridge of my nose. Silly me, I know I had my eyes shut the entire time, but I was thinking, "My God! Susan Blackwell is licking my face." And you know what? I felt good!

It's my understanding that there were, in fact, lots of cameras capturing the moment, and a video will soon surface on Broadway.com as part of their regular "Side By Side by Susan Blackwell" feature so you can see it all for yourself.

Photo Courtesy of Peter Gibbons
Of all the donations I've ever made in my life, I have to say that this was the best one ever, and without a doubt the sweetest and most satisfying. Not only was I proud to part ways with my money for a little tongue action from the truly stellar Susan Blackwell (OK, it was actually a lot), but she was doing it for an incredibly vital and important cause in which I completely believe: Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.

Photo Courtesy of Peter Gibbons
Thank you, Susan, for risking your tongue on my salty face in support of BC/EFA. We'll always have Shubert Alley. Talk about a perfect day!

If you weren't able to attend, but would still like to donate to Broadway Cares/Equity Fight AIDS, please click here. No amount is too large or too small, but your support will be greatly appreciated.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).


In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 27 September, 2010, Anonymous tim@iblogbroadway.com said...

What a hilarious auction idea. Congrats on making a great contribution to such a great cause!

- Timothy Childs
http://iblogbroadway.com/

 
At 27 September, 2010, Blogger Kevin Daly said...

I can't believe I wandered away just before she licked you!!! Hilarious.

 
At 28 September, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hysterical!!!

 
At 28 September, 2010, Blogger Bob said...

Awesome.

 
At 28 September, 2010, Blogger Unknown said...

Steve: On behalf of all of us here at Broadway Cares - thank you for being such a unexpected and wonderful part of Sunday's FLEA MARKET. You and Susan were champs and helped us raise $476,917! And as the saying goes, one good lick always deserves another. Hope to see you again. Tom Viola

 
At 28 September, 2010, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Thanks Tom. It was my sincere pleasure offering support for BC/EFA yet again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner