Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hairspray's Closing: Run And Tell That!

Hairspray's Closing: Run And Tell That!

It may be anti-climactic, but it is official!

The Tony Award-winning Best Musical of 2003 -- Hairspray -- will close on January 4, 2009. But it won't be before the show's original Edna Turnblad enjoys one final victory romp across the boards of the Neil Simon Theatre.

To date, the tuner has grossed over $265 million on Broadway alone. That's about 40 times the U.S. gross of the original John Waters film from 1988 and more than double the U.S. gross of last year's movie musical.

Fortunately, the show won't close before welcoming back Harvey Fierstein, who will reprise his Tony-winning turn as Edna one more time.

And you know what? I've already purchased my tickets to do my part to send the show off in style. Here's my little secret -- I have not seen Fierstein perform in the show since taking in the Seattle tryouts back in the summer of 2002, so my upcoming visit will mark my first time ever in the Neil Simon Theatre.

I'd say it's about time, wouldn't you?

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 23 October, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

Hey Steve,
I got my ticket, too! As sad as I am about Hairspray closing, I'm very excited that I'll have a chance to see Harvey Fierstein as Edna. When I saw Hairspray on tour last year, the music and the story really moved me. It was just so entertaining, so much fun. This is one of those shows where I thought wow, it would be so great to have seen it with the original cast. And now I'll have a chance to see a big part of that original cast!

It'll also be my first time at the Neil Simon, so we'll both be ticking another Broadway theatre off our list. (Although you're way ahead of me!) And I like the way you put it: sending the show off in style. I'm definitely thrilled to do my part.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner