Saturday, October 18, 2008

Closing The Lid On Spamalot

Closing The Lid On Spamalot

Late yesterday, the closing notices were posted for the second most highly overrated musical currently on Broadway: Monty Python's Spamalot (had I been reviewing shows back in 2005, I would have only provided two and a half stars).

Sure, the three-and-a-half year old show managed to snare the the 2005 Tony Award winner for Best Musical, but the tuner is hardly the kind of show that can be sustained or will be long remembered as a classic.

When the musical finally closes on January 18, 2009 at the Shubert Theatre, it will have enjoyed 1582 regular performances. Recently, the box office had plunged to the 50% range, but when Clay Aiken came back, the capacity climbed to 70.7% last week. Is it just my cynical self, or does Aiken's celebrated return fly in the face of the show's patronizing advertising as one of the only Broadway shows straight men could like?

Something tells me that the advance box office simply wasn't there. I have little doubt the closing news will provide a substantial bounce, but it will be for all those Monty Python fans to finally bid adieu.

Now, any wagers as to what will leave the Great White Way next?

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 18 October, 2008, Blogger Chris Van Patten said...

I posted a comment on producer Ken Davenport's blog after the closing of legally blonde: http://kendavenport.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/09/a-market-correc.html#comment-132245962

I said basically that I suspected we'd get closing notices from four shows soon: "Spamalot, Spring Awakening, Hairspray, Mary Poppins".

Since I posted that list, two have announced closings. I suspect that the other two are not far behind.

 
At 19 October, 2008, Blogger Dale said...

Although I like Monty Python films, I'm not one who goes around quoting pages of dialogue nor could I. I was poised to hate the show but found it quite entertaining. I wouldn't have expected it to be around even this long though.

 
At 21 October, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

This was one of those shows I really wanted to see on Broadway but I'm glad I waited for the tour instead. I didn't hate it but didn't love it. Everyone else around me was laughing hysterically, though. And I really liked Monty Python when I first saw the tv series in high school. But the jokes just kind of wore thin after awhile.

 
At 27 October, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

e says...

I hated this show. Good riddance. Enough is enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner