Monday, October 20, 2008

It Just Was Not To Be

It Just Was Not To Be

Just yesterday, I was in the Manhattan Theatre Club's Samuel J. Friedman Theatre to take in Nick Whitby's adaptation of To Be Or Not To Be.

At one point yesterday, I was asked if I thought the show would close early. Since Manhattan Theatre Club is a non-profit with a considerable subscriber base (myself included), my response was "no" for that reason.

Well, looks like I was only half right. Less than 24 hours later comes news that the play will close one week early on November 16 ... just as soon as the subcription portion of the run concludes.

Originally plagued by casting changes, then by rumors of conflicts between Nicholaw and Whitby, followed by roundly bad reviews and finally by less than 50% capacity crowds, it's little wonder that MTC has chosen to close shop one week early. When the show closes, it will have "enjoyed" just 40 regular performances as opposed to the 48 initially scheduled.

Personally, the show wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, but I'll provide my SOB Review a little later.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner