Monday, October 13, 2008

Casting Couched In Rumors

Casting Couched In Rumors

I love my friends.

They know I don't normally traffic in gossip, but they keep sending rumors my way anyway.

RUMOR:

Angela Lansbury will defy her own self-imposed stage retirement by taking on the role of Madame Arcati in the upcoming Broadway revival of Noël Coward's Blithe Spirit.

TRUTH:

While no further casting has been announced beyond Christine Ebersole and Rupert Everett (in his Broadway debut), Variety's original September 29 story on the revival stated:


No further casting has been announced, although Angela Lansbury and Rupert Everett are said to be on the wish list.
Given that director Michael Blakemore managed to snag Everett since that initial report, spirits (and hopes) are running high that it's only a matter of time before Lansbury says yes.

UPDATED (10/14/08, 9:30 a.m.): According to Playbill (hit tap to SarahB), Angela Lansbury will return to the Broadway boards in Blithe Spirit. It is true!

RUMOR:

Cheyenne Jackson's first post-Xanadu ride across a Broadway stage will be as Sky Masterson in the upcoming Broadway revival of Guys And Dolls, which has already cast Oliver Platt as Nathan Detroit.

TRUTH:

Sure, the message boards on Broadway World are fanning the flames, no doubt fueled in part by Michael Musto's August dreamcasting of Mr. Jackson as Sky, as well as a little dish from Perez Hilton, who says:
Other cast members have not yet been announced, but we're hearing hottie Cheyenne Jackson will be part of the revival.

But to date, there's really nothing to substantiate the rumor, nor is there anything to negate it.

RUMOR:

Teen heartthrob Zac Efron will replace Daniel Radcliffe in the current Broadway revival of Equus.

TRUTH:

Efron tells People:

No. I think it's a great role but I was not approached.... (But) I think it's important to always diversify, change it up and play different characters.... I think doing musicals all the time would get stale.
TALLY:

One rumor is true, another is squelched and the third remains just that for the time being.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 13 October, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

Well, of the three, I'm rooting for Angela Lansbury. If she plays Madame Arcati, the medium who conducts the seance, it's not a big role but it's a great one. Of course she'd be terrific. I loved her in Deuce - definitely one of my most enjoyable theatre experiences. I'd jump at another chance to see this legendary performer.

As for Cheyenne Jackson, well, I never got to Xanadu. But I want to see Guys and Dolls no matter who's in it.

 
At 13 October, 2008, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

1. Baby, it's true about Angie!!!!! http://www.playbill.com/news/article/122290.html

2. And is Cheyenne were to go into G&D, maybe I wouldn't be quite so grumpy about that revival.

3. Zac who? What a joke.

 
At 13 October, 2008, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

And please don't call Angie "legendary" - she hates it.

 
At 14 October, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Esther, Now we know that rumor is true. You should be sure to take in Blithe Spirit!

Sarah, Hat tip to you. Thanks for the heads-up, which came after deadline. I am very much looking forward to seeing any revival of Guys And Dolls, which ranks as my all-time second favorite musical. I just wish Michael Grandage's production would have come... Oh, and did I use the "L" word? I think not! But good to know.

 
At 14 October, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

You were fine, Steve. I was the one who transgressed with the "L" word. Sorry! :-(

Yes, I will definitely take this in. And thank-you for steering me toward Deuce in 2007!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner