Monday, March 17, 2008

How 'kül Is This? Strange $25 Rush Ticket Offer

How 'kül Is This? Strange $25 Rush Ticket Offer

Major tip o' the hat on this fine St. Patrick's Day to Aaron Riccio of ‘kül That Sounds Cool and MetaDrama and Show Showdown for being among the first to report something that not only sounds cool, it actually is!

Aaron reports that the überkül musical Passing Strange will now offer same-day $25 rush tickets for anyone wishing to see the show. Aaron writes:


In other words, now you have no excuse for not seeing Passing Strange. It's already clear that Passing Strange is a young, hip, vibrant show, unique in its stubborn charm to Broadway. This incentive carries that energy on by making Broadway really accessible to anyone passing through -- in the neighborhood and want to see something? For little more than twice the cost of a movie ticket, now you can.
My one and only concern: Broadway musicals need a consistent advance box office business and more than an average ticket price of $49.91 -- let alone $25 -- to remain open. When the last box office scores were posted a week ago, Passing Strange had increased its capacity significantly ... but only to 49.3%.

UPDATE (3/17/08, 3:39 p.m. EDT): Last week for the first time in its relatively brief Broadway life, Passing Strange broke through the 50% capacity mark as it reached 55.5% with average ticket prices barely increasing to $50.89.

Will this Strange gamble pay off for the best new musical on Broadway? I sure hope so.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:
Did Critics Provide Passing Grades To Passing Strange? (February 29, 2008)
Passing Strange (The SOB Review) (February 29, 2008)
Broadway's Strange Opening Night (February 28, 2008)
Strange Stagefellows (February 20, 2008)
Passing Strange Jersey Boys And Rock 'N' Roll: Downbeat Box Office (February 19, 2008)
Stranger Things Have Happened! (October 19, 2007)
Passing Strange To Broadway? (October 16, 2007)

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 17 March, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

Wow Steve, you're really into the spirit of St. Patrick's Day! I hope you're having a Guinness or two tonight! Or maybe a nice Irish coffee.

And I thought I was so cool using my Playbill discount to get a ticket for Passing Strange! Still, even though I'll be paying more, I'm glad I have my ticket in hand.

This is a good example of the positive effect of blogging buzz. I really didn't have any interest in seeing Passing Strange. The print reviews kind of piqued my curiosity, but it was the enthusiasm of my fellow bloggers that really made me want to see it!

 
At 17 March, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Now that you mention it, Esther, I'll have to reconsider my evening plans!!

And I'm glad you'll see Passing Strange, which in my humble estimation is well worth even a $100 ticket. Such a deal....

 
At 17 March, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to seeing the show ALTHOUGH I still think the show has a real uphill battle in marketing itself. This show may find itself competing in the "hip/edgy" market with both Cry-Baby and In The Heights.

BroadwayBaby (who's having problems with posting comments on here for some reason)

 
At 17 March, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

BB, I can't help but agree. The word of mouth seems to be building an audience, but not quite fast enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner