Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Strange Stagefellows

Strange Stage-fellows

Fascina-ting story today from Michael Riedel about the disconnect between the cast and crew of Stew's Passing Strange and the stodgy Shubert Organization:

When giving notes on Passing Strange, the Shuberts frequently refer to how things were done on My Fair Lady.
My Fair Lady? The wonderful but, well, old-fashioned musical that debuted on the Great White Way over a half century ago?!

But give 'em credit. They're at least betting on an exciting, revolutionary stage show unlike any other I've ever seen.

When I caught Passing Strange last weekend, I absolutely fell in love with it and can't wait for the original cast recording. With Daniel Breaker in a powerfully captivating star-making turn, it's that good. (More to come in my upcoming SOB Review.)

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:

Passing Strange Jersey Boys And Rock 'N' Roll: Downbeat Box Office (February 19, 2008)
Stranger Things Have Happened! (October 19, 2007)
Passing Strange To Broadway? (October 16, 2007)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 20 February, 2008, Blogger Chris Caggiano said...

Hey, Steve.

Looks like we just missed each other at the Belasco, cuz I just saw Passing Strange today. Still working on my review. Look for it later in the week.

Regards,

Chris

 
At 20 February, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Chris, Give me a hint. Did you enjoy?

 
At 21 February, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

I'm just thrilled you fell in love with something on your latest trip to New York. I know you've had a spell of being mostly disappointed. Isn't it great when you really fall in love with a show!

I admit that "Passing Strange" wasn't on my list of things to see. When I read about most shows before they come to Broadway, I have a pretty clear idea of what they're about. But this one kind of confused me. I guess I've never been clear on exactly what it is: a concert? a monologue by Stew? Does it have a plot or is it a series of performance pieces strung together? Does Stew act or sing or both?

But now you've piqued my curiosity! I'll be eagerly awaiting both of your reviews to answer all of my questions. I also downloaded some free MP3s from the show's Web site, and I do like the music.

 
At 21 February, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Esther, Stew primarily acts as the narrator, often speaking but mostly singing his way through his own life.

The way in which it begins has you thinking you're about to see a concert performance, but it quickly evolves into an actual story that is beautifully told.

 
At 21 February, 2008, Blogger Chris Caggiano said...

Steve: I give it a B+. So much to enjoy, very smart, lots of imagination. But a little too much pretense. See my full review tomorrow.

Esther: The show is well worth seeing. It shares a lot with Spring Awakening. The same energy and smart stagecraft. It has a very clear plot, although it is a staged concert. It's smart, funny, and energetic.

 
At 26 February, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Thanks again Chris. Hope readers here take a look at your review. The show deserves a much larger audience than the 25% capacity it's currently drawing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner