Friday, February 29, 2008

Catch Me If You Can's Tveit With Destiny

Catch Me If You Can's Tveit With Destiny

How did I miss this?

Seems like ages since I've written anything about the long gestating musical version of Catch Me If You Can , a Marc Shaiman/Scott Wittman/Terrence McNally tuner that will star Nathan Lane as FBI agent Carl Hanratty, a role portrayed in the film by Tom Hanks.

At that time, Matthew Morrison had been involved in an early reading, but hasn't been associated with the project for quite some time. Last I heard, the project had just dumped its Frank Abagnale, Jr., Christian Borle -- right around the same time Sutton Foster allegedly did.

And then, "poof!" Nothing!

That is until I was reading through Broadway.com's interview with the bright athletic young actor Aaron Tveit, who's currently part of the cast for Off-Broadway's Next To Normal.

Turns out, Tveit has been tapped for the man/boy role of Frank Junior, played on the silver screen by Leonardo DiCaprio:
I'm still pinching myself about working with Nathan Lane. I've been blessed at my young age to work with people who are at the top of our profession, and I'm trying not to take for granted all the things that have come to me.
Tveit (pronounced "ta-VATE") previously played the role of Link Larkin in Hairspray, both on tour and then on Broadway, and he supposedly was also part of the "first national tour" of Rent, which seems a little hard to believe given that he's just 24 years old, and the first tour began in late 1996. But whatever. He at least has the appropriate look for the Catch Me part.

Now, can anyone tell me when this project will finally see the light of day?

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Related Stories:
Catching Nathan Lane If You Can (July 6, 2006)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 29 February, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news....At the rate this show is "gestating", Matthew Morrison will be collecting social security by the time the show gets off the ground. As for Borle, he is not leading man material and should stick to playing goofy sidekicks. I'm glad they picked a young'un for the role.

 
At 29 February, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

BroadwayBaby, I couldn't agree with you more. And by the way, I'm thrilled that Morrison has matured into some truly exciting roles. I can't wait to see him in South Pacific as Lt. Cable.

 
At 01 March, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

Wow, this is great news! As you know, I love Hairspray. I listen to the score all the time. I think Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman did such a great job capturing the sounds and the mood of America in the early 1960s. So I'm really looking forward to their next project, and I'm glad it's actually moving along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner