Monday, February 25, 2008

A State Of Honorable Confusion

A State Of Honorable Confusion

This morning, The New York Time's Campbell Robertson writes about all those shows that New York Post's Michael Riedel and others have promised were Broadway bound.

The much heralded list includes:
13 - "more likely at this point"
Farragut North - "opening on Broadway in the fall. Doug Hughes directing. 'Exciting people' in the cast"
Guys And Dolls - "pretty much a dead letter"
Pal Joey - "will probably make it here, perhaps next year"
Porgy And Bess - "more likely at this point"
Stalag 17 - "producers postponed the production to the fall of 2008"
The Female Of The Species - now "scheduled for...Broadway in the spring of 2009"
The Wiz - into the abyss

The laundry list of shows many thought would already be performing on Broadway helps explain why Rocco Landesman of Jujamcyn says:
Delays are a normal part of the process.... When a date is announced as an opening date, it’s really a hoped-for date. When a show arrives perfectly on schedule, that’s actually more anomalous.
Or as producer Jeffrey Richard describes the delay of Farragut North:
There was a state of honorable confusion.
This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 25 February, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

steve, have you heard about the news that stephanie j block is to be replaced with the fantastic kerry ellis, currently playing elphaba in the west end!!! what are your views on this revelation???
your pal in england
kieron

 
At 25 February, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Kieron, Indeed I read the news earlier today and believe that Kerry Ellis will "wow" them on Broadway. She was excellent when I saw her as Elphaba.

Thanks for checking in. What shows are you seeing in London that I shouldn't miss?

 
At 25 February, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

I was looking forward to seeing so many of these shows when I first heard about them. Sigh. I guess I've learned an important lesson: a lot of shows get announced, but not all of them make it. I won't get my hopes up quite so high. But I'll still keep my fingers crossed for most of them, especially "13," "Farragut North" and "Stalag 17." I know you must be very disappointed about "Guys and Dolls," since it's one of your co-favorite all-time musicals. And I would love to have seen it, too. I'm sure it's turn will come around again someday.

 
At 26 February, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Esther, I would have been even more disappointed had I not seen Jenna Russell, Ewan McGregor, Jane Krakowski and Douglas Hodge in the London cast of Guys And Dolls. It was worth the trip across the pond!

And you're right. It will come around yet another day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner