Friday, November 12, 2010

Deck The Halls With Broadway Snow Globe; Support Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS

Deck The Halls With Broadway Snow Globe; Support Broadway Cares/ Equity Fights AIDS

Looking for that perfect holiday gift for the theatregoer in your life?

Consider the all-new Broadway collectible designed by Tony Award-winning scenic designer David Gallo, who was commissioned by Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS (BC/EFA) to design their 2010 Official Broadway Cares Snow Globe.

If you're a regular reader, you already know how much I support this invaluable non-profit, which is one of the nation's leading industry based HIV/AIDS fundraising and grant-making organizations. So I'm pleased not only to share details of the snow globe itself, but also present an interview I conducted with David Gallo.

According to BC/EFA:
Our newest snow globe is the most theatrical one yet, with an eye-popping, multi-layered design from Tony award-winning designer, David Gallo. The subway trains run underneath the snow covered theaters and taxi-lined streets of New York, all of which advertise over twenty Broadway musical logos. Inside the globe, three girls dance on a spectacular stage, which rotates to reveal a surprise glimpse of the goings-on backstage. "There’s No Business Like Show Business" is the perfect anthem for this collectable globe, which stands 5 ¾” x 7 ½”.
On Wednesday, I had a chance to talk with David Gallo about his efforts for BC/EFA. Here's a portion of my interview with this master designer:




Steve On Broadway (SOB) - How did your collaboration with Broadway Cares come about?

David Gallo - On this particular project, it was as simple as them just contacting me about doing this. But I’ve been participating in various forms of fundraising for them for probably almost 20 years. I always worked the Flea Market for them and over the years I’ve donated a tremendous amount of artwork.

Whenever I’m asked to sell something of my own to a museum or an individual, I always have the money given to Broadway Cares. So I’ve done that for a long time as well. And occasionally when people want to purchase memorabilia, I always have the money go to Broadway Cares.

But for the snowglobe, it was just as simple as having them call me.

SOB - I only spotted one of your shows in the Snow Globe.

DG - We made sure Memphis was right there in the center.

SOB - Tell me a little about the concept that went into your snow globe design.

DG - I really wanted to be able to tell some kind of a story with it. As an art object, it’s certainly cute enough. But I was hoping to be able to sort of develop into some basic kind of tale and give it a little sense of surprise -- so the notion of it being the street levels of New York and all the taxis and the cars and then below that the subway and then the city.

Then as it sort of spins around, seeing the city as performance -- Times Square and Broadway as performances -- seeing the backstage goings-on with the wardrobe people and the stagehands throwing the snow. It was just sort of meant as New York -- Broadway in the wintertime as kind of the event and let it work on number of different scales. Just sort of be fun from that point of view.

But alternately, the idea was just to tell some kind of silly little tale.

SOB - Have you ever worked on that kind of scale before?

DG - I don’t think I’ve ever done a snow globe before. I wasn’t unfamiliar working in model form because that’s what we do, but usually our stuff ends up getting built bigger. But yes, it really was the first time, certainly the first time.

SOB - I’m looking forward to getting one of my own.

Yeah, it’s cool. It’s actually turned out really, really well. We’re very pleased with it.


To purchase your very own whimsical snow globe (as I since have), visit the Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS online store. They're just $80 each. To give directly to BC/EFA, please go here.

I'll have more of my interview with David Gallo next week as I focus more on his award-winning career.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).


In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post.


Powered by FeedBurner

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner