Sunday, December 27, 2009

SOB's Theatrical Firsts Of The Noughties: Seeing Shows In Every Broadway House

SOB's Theatrical Firsts Of The Noughties: Seeing Shows In Every Broadway House

Over the course of the last decade, I’ve been truly fortunate to enjoy a number of enlightening firsts in my personal theatergoing that have only served to increase my deep and abiding love for the art form known as live theatre. What follows is one of my ten favorite experiences of the last ten years.

If you are a regular reader of Steve On Broadway, you may recall back in September of this year when I finally made my way to Broadway’s Majestic Theatre to finally see a performance of Andrew Lloyd Webber's iconic The Phantom Of The Opera, the longest running show in the Great White Way’s history. And what a performance to attend as they celebrated the show’s 9,000th performance milestone, albeit one day early.

Of course, my sole reason for attending was to scratch one last Broadway house off my list, and I guess you can say I did it in style since The Phantom Of The Opera celebrated its 9000th performance the afternoon I went. It came after just over 24 years after taking my first Broadway show at the Winter Garden Theatre for another Andrew Lloyd Webber hit, Cats, in 1985.

But about the time in September I was crowing I had been to every single Broadway theatre, another newly refurbished one was going back online. With its façade being the only remnant from its original theatre, the entirely new Henry Miller’s was making its Broadway debut with Bye Bye Birdie as its first occupant. As I try to see every new show that opens, I dutifully made my way to Henry Miller’s in October and this time, for real, I scratched every last legit Broadway house off my list.

P.S. If you're wondering which Broadway venue I've seen the most shows in, that would be the Booth Theatre, where I've taken in 10 different productions, bookended by two musicals: the 1992 revival of The Most Happy Fella and the current hit next to normal.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post. I paid my own way for each performance.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner