Monday, December 21, 2009

SOB's Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #9 - Wicked

SOB's Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #9 - Wicked (2003, George Gershwin Theatre, New York City, NY/2005, Oriental Theatre, Chicago, IL/2006, Orpheum Theatre, Minneapolis, MN/2007, Apollo Victoria Theatre, London, United Kingdom/2007, Palladium Theater, Stuttgart, Germany/2007, Shiki Theatre, Tokyo, Japan/2008, Regent Theatre, Melbourne, Australia/2009, Orpheum Theatre, San Francisco, CA/2009, Civic Center Main Stage, Des Moines, IA)

Introduction: Hard as it is to comprehend that we're already 119 months into this "new" millennium, we are fast approaching the end of its first decade. While we have yet to agree on what exactly we should call the '00s, I'll take a cue from the fine folks at The Times of London and the BBC and henceforth refer to them at the Noughties.

With that small introduction, I'm pleased to present my list of plays and musicals that wowed me the most during that time. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of shows I've seen over the last ten years, I give you my countdown of my 25 personal favorite shows of the Noughties.

Perhaps it's appropriate that the musical I've seen in nine different venues on four different continents would blow in at number nine on my favorites list. Wicked may not have scored big with critics, but it certainly did with my Love Of My Life (LOML) and me. And those witches? Well, they're cackling all the way to the bank.

Seeing Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth as Elphaba and Glinda, respectively, just two days after Wicked opened, my LOML and I were both positively charmed by the story that took the beloved classic “The Wizard Of Oz” and cleverly spun it on its head. While we were completely mesmerized by Chenoweth in such numbers as “Popular” and Menzel in “Defying Gravity,” we have also been wowed by countless other leading ladies taking on these now iconic roles, even they were performing in other languages like German and Japanese.
It's no wonder this captivating show continues to soar with productions spanning the globe. In fact, it's such an audience favorite that Wicked is now the twentieth longest running show in Broadway history. Congratulotions, indeed!

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post. I paid my own way for this performance.


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner