Wednesday, December 23, 2009

SOB's Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #7 - Gypsy

SOB's Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #7 - Gypsy(2008, St. James Theatre, New York City, NY)

Introduction: Hard as it is to comprehend that we're already 119 months into this "new" millennium, we are fast approaching the end of its first decade. While we have yet to agree on what exactly we should call the '00s, I'll take a cue from the fine folks at The Times of London and the BBC and henceforth refer to them at the Noughties.

With that small introduction, I'm pleased to present my list of plays and musicals that wowed me the most during that time. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of shows I've seen over the last ten years, I give you my countdown of my 25 personal favorite shows of the Noughties.

Gangway world, get off of my superlatives! Suddenly, highfalutin' words like "excellent," "superb" and "top-notch" just didn't seem sufficient enough to adequately describe the unique experience of seeing the incredible Arthur Laurents-helmed revival of Gypsy that played Broadway last year.

Never had I enjoyed myself more or been so thoroughly entertained by a Rialto musical experience ... ever. This was most definitely a performance for the ages. To see it was to witness theatrical history being made (including the penultimate performance of the show earlier this year .... yes, I was there then, too).

The beauty of this fully-realized Broadway revival was that every breathtaking performance from start to finish matched that offered by the truly astonishing Patti LuPone, who made her Rose at once sympathetic, conniving, sexy, funny, tragic and repulsive all at the same time. Add to that poignant portrayals -- the stunning metamorphosis of Louise offered by Laura Benanti in her best performance yet, and the completely credible, quiet dignity in Boyd Gaines' sympathetic take on Herbie -- and those fortunate enough to see this incarnation saw the classic musical the way it was truly intended to be seen.



This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post. I paid my own way for these performances.



Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 23 December, 2009, Blogger Esther said...

Darn it, I was sure this was going to be your Number 1 show of the noughties! Ok, if it's not Gypsy and it's not Wicked, what could it be?! Hmmm, there are a few shows I know you love that you haven't mentioned yet. The suspense is building! ;-)

 
At 23 December, 2009, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

You'll just have to keep checking back, Esther!

 
At 26 December, 2009, Blogger Joseph Gomez said...

I want a movie. With Patti, Boyd, and Laura (if she's too old for the film they can get a young star like Anne Hathaway and I'll be ok with that). But PATTI is required!! This was an AWESOME show. No arguments here on my end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner