Sunday, December 13, 2009

SOB's Least Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #2 - Glory Days

SOB's Least Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #2 - Glory Days (2008, Circle In The Square Theatre, New York City, NY)

Introduction: Hard as it is to comprehend that we're already 119 months into this "new" millennium, we are fast approaching the end of its first decade. While we have yet to agree on what exactly we should call the '00s, I'll take a cue from the fine folks at The Times of London and the BBC and henceforth refer to them at the Noughties.

With that small introduction, I'm not only pleased to present my list of my top 25 favorite plays and musicals of the Noughties, but also a simultaneous countdown of my five least favorite shows out of the hundreds and hundreds of shows I've seen over the last ten years.

In retrospect, I was far too kind to the subpar, threadbare 90-minute Glory Days that dared to call itself a Broadway musical.

The show vanished immediately after opening night (I managed to catch one of its last previews). If not for the worst show of the decade (which I'll reveal soon), the ill-fated Glory Days ironically would have achieved that most inglorious distinction.

Coming across as not even quite half-finished, this was not the type of show that should have so easily or quickly been catapulted directly to the Broadway spotlight from a regional theatre. The show could easily have been mounted by an Off Off-Broadway house and attracted an appropriate youthful audience it was clearly targeting without having the audacity to charge $100 or more per ticket. No glory there.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post. I paid my own way for this performance.



Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 13 December, 2009, Blogger Vance said...

Oh poor Glory Days! I still say I liked it, but then again, I paid $20 in a small regional theatre with no expectations and the story reminded me of my all-boys Catholic high school. I think I was their exact (and only) demographic.

 
At 13 December, 2009, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

I think it had a place in small regional theatre. But when you make it to the big leagues, you have to serve up substantially more. Glory Days did not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner