Thursday, December 10, 2009

SOB's Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #18 - Long Day's Journey Into Night

SOB's Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #18 - Long Day's Journey Into Night (2003, Plymouth Theatre, New York City, NY)

Introduction: Hard as it is to comprehend that we're already 119 months into this "new" millennium, we are fast approaching the end of its first decade. While we have yet to agree on what exactly we should call the '00s, I'll take a cue from the fine folks at The Times of London and the BBC and henceforth refer to them at the Noughties.

With that small introduction, I'm pleased to present my list of plays and musicals that wowed me the most during that time. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of shows I've seen over the last ten years, I give you my countdown of my 25 personal favorite shows of the Noughties.

One of the most acclaimed productions of its year and quite deservedly so, this Robert Falls-helmed revival of Eugene O'Neill’s semi-autobiographical classic Long Day's Journey Into Night more than captured his family’s deep descent into hell.

Its stellar cast included Vanessa Redgrave and Brian Dennehy at their very best. As matriarch Mary Tyrone, Redgrave offered one of the most harrowing downward spirals I've ever witnessed on stage. As patriarch James Tyrone, Dennehy provided a deceptively subtle performance.

Considering that the exceptional Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robert Sean Leonard helped round out the cast, this was one must-see theatrical event that exceeded expectations.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post. I paid my own way for this performance.


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11 December, 2009, Blogger Heather said...

I had the pleasure of seeing this production of Long Day's Journey Into Night too. It was heartbreaking! One of my favorites too!

 
At 11 December, 2009, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Like you, my memories of being completely heartbroken still linger with me. That's why it's on my list. Vanessa Redgrave made me believe she was spiraling out of control.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner