Saturday, December 12, 2009

SOB's Least Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #3 - Harvey

SOB's Least Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #3 - Harvey (2003, Moulton Theatre, The Laguna Playhouse, Laguna Beach, CA)

Introduction: Hard as it is to comprehend that we're already 119 months into this "new" millennium, we are fast approaching the end of its first decade. While we have yet to agree on what exactly we should call the '00s, I'll take a cue from the fine folks at The Times of London and the BBC and henceforth refer to them at the Noughties.

With that small introduction, I'm not only pleased to present my list of my top 25 favorite plays and musicals of the Noughties, but also a simultaneous countdown of my five least favorite shows out of the hundreds and hundreds of shows I've seen over the last ten years.

As Steven Spielberg seems to have recently discovered, sometimes it's wise to avoid taking a crack at an old chestnut.

Tony Award namesake Antoinette Perry may have fashioned a huge fat Broadway hit out of Mary Chase's Harvey back in the 40s, but director Charles Nelson Reilly failed to pull a rabbit out his hat, even with Charles Durning as Elwood P. Dowd and a cast that featured Joyce Van Patten and Dick Van Patten.

This stilted production was so frustratingly awful that it was hardly surprising that this revival never reached its intended destination on Broadway. This was more than enough to make me wonder who had really been delusional.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post. I paid my own way for this performance.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12 December, 2009, Anonymous Chris Van Patten said...

Hard to believe a show featuring my family could be so terrible!

(1. assuming they are my family, however distantly)
(2. actually, the odds of awful theatre probably increase if you add my family to the equation)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner