Saturday, August 30, 2008

New Orleans: Déjà Vu All Over Again?

New Orleans: Déjà Vu All Over Again?

After having just been in New Orleans at the beginning of the week and departing the city's Louis Armstrong Airport as the remnants of Fay were blowing through, I am absolutely heartsick that the Big Easy -- so ravaged by Hurricane Katrina three years ago yesterday -- is now bracing for Hurricane Gustav.

Unlike Michael Moore, I'm not laughing and find it repulsive that anyone would use such a devastating event to score cheap political points when so many lives have already been lost in this hurricane's wake.

While I'm awaiting word from my friends who live in New Orleans -- hoping they're in a safe place, and if not, wishing them Godspeed -- the seeming inevitability of Gustav striking Louisiana and Texas has me wishing I could do something. Anything.

And while it may not be much, I've just donated to the American Red Cross in recognition that they're already hard at work in preparing for the eventual disaster relief they'll be providing in Gustav's aftermath.

I strongly encourage you to join me by doing the same. To donate, simply click here.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 30 August, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Steve,
Thank you for your support. I am a New Orleanian living on the Northshore. Southern LA is likely to be devastated in a few days and I feel like my own country is cheering it on. I have to agree with Obama. "We are a better country than this!"

 
At 31 August, 2008, Blogger Alicia said...

Steve, I was thinking about you and your recent volunteer efforts yesterday. I can only imagine how inspiring it must have been to be a part of the ongoing cleanup effort and all the positive energy in New Orleans after Katrina. And how devastating it must be to see them now bracing for the "mother of all storms."

I gave blood at the Red Cross Blood Drive this past Tuesday... Who knows? Perhaps that blood is en route to Louisiana as we speak!

Unsurprisingly, I echo your sentiments about the Red Cross and also wish good health and Godspeed to those that are weathering Gustav.

 
At 31 August, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

DoctorJ2U, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones. Stay safe, my friend.

 
At 31 August, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Alicia, Thanks for the timely reminder that blood donations are also an excellent way to help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner