Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Broadway Preview: White Christmas

Broadway Preview: White Christmas

According to Variety, dreams of a White Christmas for Broadway will be realized as Irving Berlin's White Christmas glistens the Great White Way's Marquis Theatre starting this November.

The film-cum-stage musical has already played a host of venues throughout the United States over the past several years. Just two years ago, I caught the Walter Bobbie-helmed production in Saint Paul, Minnesota. While I found Randy Skinner’s brilliant choreography enthralling, I was less impressed by the rather inert book by David Ives and Paul Blake.

Still, now that the show has essentially enjoyed an extended out of town tryout over the past four holiday seasons -- and it's likely that the show's top actors will return for the Rialto engagement -- it's quite possible that the tuner's been sufficiently tweaked in time for its Broadway bow.

Expect Irving Berlin's White Christmas to turn into a blizzard of ticket sales.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Related Stories:
Irving Berlin’s White Christmas (The SOB Review) (December 6, 2006)

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 05 August, 2008, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

I have to admit that while I'm not crazy about Christmas music in general, I love the movie White Christmas. I own it and even find myself watching it when it comes on tv. I'll definitely be getting a ticket to see it on Broadway. I hope my Kate Baldwin reprises her regional role here on Broadway!

 
At 05 August, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Sarah, Strangely enough, I've never seen the classic film. I'm sure you'll be thoroughly entertained by the choreography, which along with the timeless music and actual snow, is the real star of this show.

 
At 06 August, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I loved the show much more than you did (I remember you giving it only 2.5 stars). Call me old fashioned, but it's nice to see a show for a change where sets, the orchestra and the cast are not downsized.

 
At 06 August, 2008, Blogger Vance said...

Yah, maybe I was just in the Christmas spirit but I actually adored the creaky old show probably because it was a creeky old show with some glorious songs and an old fashioned feel.

But yes, Kate Baldwin really did help. She NEEDS to return to the show!

(Tony Yazbeck (currently in Gypsy as Tulsa) also helped a LOT!)

 
At 06 August, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the show in its incarnation in 2004 in San Francisco.....I also saw the show two years later in the same theater as Steve....the venue makes a huge difference....

the costumes and sets....especially in the final scene and curtain call...give one a whole magical sense of this show.....

I became a huge Jefry Denman fan after seeing his dancing skills in SF.........

It's a fun show, it's happy....it's romantic......the writing's a bit stilted however I still left the theaters floating on air..............

 
At 06 August, 2008, Blogger Roxie said...

I absolutely adore the film version - it is my favorite Christmas movie. I'm excited about seeing the stage version - especially if Kate Baldwin is involved - but also a little worred that it won't be as fabulous.

If you have some time to catch the movie I highly recomend it because it's so great!

 
At 06 August, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

BB, 2.5 stars still means I liked it. I would recommend it for the choreography alone.

 
At 18 August, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know when tickets will go on sale?

 
At 19 August, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Anonymous, Tickets go on sale exclusively to American Express card members starting August 20 through September 17 (visit broadway.yahoo.com). Tickets will go sale to the general public on September 21.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner