Thursday, August 31, 2006

Ana Gasteyer To Fly Into Broadway's Wicked

Ana Gasteyer To Fly Into Broadway's Wicked

If you're a regular reader of Steve On Broadway, you'll know that I'm unabashedly an enthusiastic, longstanding fan of Wicked. I first saw it on the Great White Way two days after it opened and have subsequently seen it more times than I care to admit, including the sit-down Chicago berth as well as the touring production.

I've seen many Elphabas, but aside from Idina Menzel's Tony-award winning characterization, my favorite Wicked Witch of the West of all has been Ana Gasteyer's exquisite, nuanced portrayal first seen in Chicago. Now, finally, Broadway audiences will be treated to her unique, idiosyncratic take on the great green one when she flies into the George Gershwin Theatre for 13 weeks beginning October 10 once again opposite Kate Reinder's Glinda (both are pictured above).

And did I mention that Gasteyer can sing? If you haven't already seen Wicked, my advice is to get to New York to see Gasteyer and Reinders together for a performance you won't soon forget.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:
Jaaku or Neikan? Wicked Set for Japanese Translation (July 24, 2006)
Julia Murney: Worth the "Waiting" (July 20, 2006)
Five Times More Wicked (July 17, 2006)
Rejoicify and Festivate! Chicago's Wicked Celebrates First Anniversary (June 16, 2006)
Wicked Becomes Broadway's 8th Overall Cumulative Grosser Among Current Hits (June 2, 2006)
Flashback: Best of 2003-04 (May 25, 2006)
Approaching One Year, Chicago's Wicked Continues to Captivate (May 23, 2006)
Wicked's West End Witches Update (May 17, 2006)
Worldwide Wicked Casting News (May 5, 2006)
Encore: Spotlight Week Ending April 30, 2006 (April 30, 2006)



Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 31 August, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

I finally get to see Wicked in chicago at the end of October. My partner who drag me all over the midwest to see strange unheard of musical has be resistion to seeing this.
I hope the replacement Wicked Witch is good.
What the word on the Pirate muscial coming to Chicago? Thinking of see that while were there. Read you all the time-Mike

 
At 31 August, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

Heard anything about this Steve http://www.seemadamex.com/

 
At 31 August, 2006, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Michael, Thanks for your posts. Kristy Cates is currently playing Elphaba and she's outstanding (I mentioned her in a story in May: http://steveonbroadway.blogspot.com/2006/05/approaching-one-year-chicagos-wicked.html). But when you've seen the show as many times as I have, I hope I'm forgiven for having my favorites!

As for the Pirate Queen, you'll see from one previous story (http://steveonbroadway.blogspot.com/2006/05/pirate-queen-musical-to-sail-into.html) that I am not terribly excited about the possibility mainly due to the combination of its director and the production company that gave us River Dance. But it does feature yet another former Elphaba -- Stephanie J. Block -- and she's very talented.

Finally, your posting is the first I've heard anything about Madame X. I'm intrigued.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner