Thursday, August 24, 2006

High Fidelity Tunes In To High Capacity Imperial


High Fidelity Tunes In To High Capacity Imperial

For all those musicals I've described as circling the Great White Way like vultures, one has officially found its prey in the Imperial Theatre. With previews set for November 20 and opening night on December 7, High Fidelity (based on the 2000 film) will replace the exiting Dirty Rotten Scoundrels at this 1417 seat venue.

The Walter Bobbie-helmed musical boasts a book by David Lindsay-Abaire (Rabbit Hole) and original score by Tom Kitt and Amanda Green. The cast includes Will Chase (Lennon), Jenn Collela (Urban Cowboy) and Christian Anderson, among others). The show will begin its Boston tryout next month at the Colonial Theatre.

Now that High Fidelity has found its Broadway berth, where will Curtains land? Although there's been considerable speculation that Curtains was circling over the Al Hirschfeld Theatre (current home to The Wedding Singer), 1215 seats would seem to be much too small to successfully accommodate this unusually large production. So I again throw out the possibility that The Producers' days may be numbered. Time will tell.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 25 August, 2006, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

If I'm EVER wrong on my information, I want to be called on it!

In that spirit, I've been informed by the most avid theatre fan I know that I incorrectly stated the seating capacity for the Al Hirschfeld Theatre by saying it had approximately 1215 seats; my friend pointed out that Playbill lists the number at 1422.

My original source was the Internet Broadway Database (www.ibdb.com), but since receiving my friend's message, I've poked around and have found many varying numbers, most of which point to a seating capacity of over 1400. Certainly, if that is the case, I can truly appreciate how the Al Hirschfeld is provoking speculation as a possible home for Kander & Ebb's Curtains.

If you have a definitive source of information on theatre seating capacities, please let me know. And please be sure to point out the errors of my ways!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner