Saturday, October 23, 2010

Down The Rabbit Hole Again. This Time On Film.


Down The Rabbit Hole Again. This Time On Film.

When I took in David Lindsay-Abaire's solidly-crafted Rabbit Hole when it played on Broadway back in 2006, I thought it merely OK. It was poignant to be sure, especially with uniformly good performances, yet I didn’t think it rose to any great heights, nor did I think it deserving of its Pulitzer Prize win.

Of course, never mind what I think. Especially now that that John Cameron Mitchell has directed the big screen adaptation by Lindsay-Abaire. The film, set for a limited release on December 17 in time for Oscar consideration, will star Nicole Kidman as Cynthia opposite Aaron Eckhart as Howie -- grieving parents mourning the loss of their son (the roles were played on Broadway by Cynthia Nixon and John Slattery, with Nixon earning a Tony).

But after viewing this trailer for the movie, I found myself strangely moved in ways I didn't feel four years ago. Interesting that the clip barely even hints at the film's very title. Take a look and let me know what you think.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).


In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 23 October, 2010, Blogger Unemployment Blues said...

It looks like a very moving film - having lost a loved one tragically myself a few years ago, I can relate to many of the scenes I saw. I have just completely lost it behind the wheel of my car many times, crying uncontrollably, for you never know when something or someone will remind you of your loss. I can be walking in the grocery store and spot someone who reminds me so much of Mom, and I just have to stop and cover my eyes so that no one can see the tears.
This movie may not be a money maker, but I am glad to see thought-ful films with relatable messages in the marketplace. Hopefully it will live up to the preview.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner