Friday, October 22, 2010

Word To My Mother: Another Title You Won't Like

Word To My Mother: Another Title You Won't Like

I love my mother. With all my heart. And I make no bones about it.

So you, dear reader, should know that when I first started Steve On Broadway and quickly figured out that the acronym spelled out SOB, well, I decided to latch onto it and append my blog name with it before anyone else had a chance to lob that name at me.

I also knew it would only be a matter of time before my mother found my site. And trust me, she did. And when she did, her first response was, "What's with this SOB thing, anyway?"

Suddenly, I found myself reassuring her that it was just a little play on Steve On Broadway and that she should most definitely not take it personally. It had nothing to do with her.

But I also know that my dear mother is one of those many potential theatregoers who finds vulgar language an assault on her ears (and thus, she avoids shows that she knows contain it gratuitously). And since she raised me very well and even visits this site on a fairly regular basis, if only to keep tabs on me ("Hi Mom! Love you!!"), I have chosen over the last four and a half years to keep this site safe for all ages.

So I guess it was only a matter of time until a Broadway show would push me to the brink of what I post here. Today, Michael Riedel confirmed that Anna D. Shapiro -- one of my favorite directors -- will helm Stephen Adly Guirgis' The Motherf**ker With The Hat at Broadway's Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre starting in March 2011.

There.

I said it.

With asterisks.*

The play had been slated to have its world premiere at The Public Theater in New York. In fact, their website still lists the production as coming in "Spring 2011," along with this description:
A new high-octane, verbal cage match about love, fidelity, and misplaced haberdashery from Stephen Adly Guirgis (Little Flower Of East Orange; The Last Days Of Judas Iscariot). Jackie and Veronica have been in love since the 8th grade. But now, Jackie is on parole and living clean and sober under the guidance of his sponsor, Ralph D, while still living and loving with his volatile soul mate Veronica who is fiercely loving, but far from sober. Still, their love is pure. And true. Nothing can come between them- except a hat. Guirgis, as always, provides an eclectic and lively cast of characters seeking to "put away their childish things," and their collective quest- and missteps-result in his most open-hearted, laugh-out-loud and poignant plays to date.

If the biggest news weren't the title that The New York Times certainly won't print (can you imagine all the fun they'll have at the Tonys repeating the title over and over ad nauseum just to see who can slip it by the censors?), the casting certainly is. It will mark the Broadway debut for comedian Chris Rock. Casting for the play also includes Bobby Cannavale (Jackie), Elizabeth Rodriguez (Veronica), Annabella Sciorra (Victoria) and Yul Vazquez (Julio).

Previews for the play begin at the Schoenfeld on March 22 (yes, mom, I know it's my sister's birthday), and the show opens April 11, 2011.


Word to my mother ... want to go with me?

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

*Because as near as I can tell, it's supposed to have asterisks included.


In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner