Thursday, September 16, 2010

The People's Broadway Musical?

The People's Broadway Musical?

The Producers' Leo Bloom famously sang, "I wanna be a producer on Broadway."

Now thanks to an announcement yesterday from producer Ken Davenport, you can do it for as little as $100 per unit with a "minimum investment of 10 units."

Yes, you read correctly.

For as little as $1000 -- essentially the price of a few of The Producers' infamous premium tickets -- you'll not only receive a limited liability company interest in The Godspell, LLC, but you can also have your name listed on the Broadway poster outside the theatre and on the show's Web site.

Although a revival for Stephen Schwartz's musical Godspell was initially planned (and then dropped) for the 2008-09 Theatrical Season, it was announced last December that Davenport would bring that "postponed" version to Broadway sometime in the fall of 2010. Now the impresario is saying he will take it to the streets in mounting the tuner in the spring or summer of 2011 as the "first ever community produced Broadway musical."

Director Daniel Goldstein remains attached to the upcoming production with Christopher Gattelli as choreographer. (Click here for my SOB story from July 2008 with added background on the show's history.)

Neither venue nor dates have been announced for the "Crowd-Funded" production. But suffice it to say with these latest developments, I'll be watching for developments day by day.

So dear readers, are you in? Please take a moment to vote in the following poll:
Online Surveys & Market Research


This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).


In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 16 September, 2010, Blogger Linda said...

I know $1,000 is cheap to invest in a musical, but it's still a lot of money for me. I would love to do it just for the experience of it, but maybe someday I'll make enough to invest in a musical. Are you going to do it?

 
At 16 September, 2010, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Linda, Thanks for your comments. $1000 is all relative, isn't it, to where we on each of our life's journey.

Since I have many years on you, I'd certainly contemplate it. Of course, I'd also completely reserve the right to write about it by praising it if I thought it was good and pan it if I thought it was awful. But I would also find the need to provide full disclosure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner