Thursday, December 03, 2009

SOB's Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #23 - Grey Gardens

SOB's Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #23 - Grey Gardens (2007, Walter Kerr Theatre, New York, New York)

Introduction: Hard as it is to comprehend that we're already 119 months into this "new" millennium, we are fast approaching the end of its first decade. While we have yet to agree on what exactly we should call the '00s, I'll take a cue from the fine folks at The Times of London and the BBC and henceforth refer to them at the Noughties.

With that small introduction, I'm pleased to present my list of plays and musicals that wowed me the most during that time. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of shows I've seen over the last ten years, I give you my countdown of my 25 personal favorite shows of the Noughties.

As the most sublime show of its year, Grey Gardens easily ranked as my choice for Best Musical. This unconventional yet completely satisfying tuner was a triumph of the first order.

Arguably at the height of her distinguished career, Christine Ebersole's virtuoso performance in Grey Gardens remains one that I can still vividly recall. Ebersole more than masterfully channeled both Edith and Little Edie Bouvier Beales of the funny-if-it-weren’t-so-tragic seventies documentary of the same name.

What could have been played for sheer parody was instead transformed into a poignant, modern tragedy, where pathetic dismissal gave way to empathy. Credit Michael Greif's brilliant direction, Mary Louise Wilson’s powerful Edith and Ebersole’s heartwrenching Little Edie.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post. I paid my own way for this performance.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 03 December, 2009, Blogger Joseph Gomez said...

everyone in the blogosphere went gaga for this show. I am still of the minority who believes that it was the second best musical of the year behind Spring Awakening. While that show has faded on prevalence for many, Spring has only gotten richer for me over the years. Grey Gardens still remains a very flawed show for me. And the balance between the first act and second act is askew. First act remains a 2 1/2 star show for me while second act is 4. The second act wouldnt be what it is without the first, but the length and score dont justify the first act for me still.

 
At 03 December, 2009, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Joseph,

Thanks for weighing in! I certainly appreciate your point of view, but I will respectfully disagree on each count and perhaps it's because of my advanced age!!

I much preferred Grey Gardens to Spring Awakening, which I still thought was a terrific show.

Cheers!

Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner