Monday, November 23, 2009

Just One More Little Night Before Music

wJust One More Little Night Before Music

Last Thanksgiving weekend, I treated myself to one of the best theatrical experiences I had all year.

It came after the West End Whingers advised me to do myself a favor and take in the Menier Chocolate Factory's stunning revival of Stephen Sondheim and Hugh Wheeler's A Little Night Music in London.

In some pre-trip prep work, SarahB at Adventures In The Endless Pursuit Of Entertainment helped push me over the edge. I've yet to come back, and that's a good thing.

In my subsequent SOB Review, I waxed rhapsodic in my praise:
Isn't it rich?!

Who would have thought that a show staged in a style so deceptively simple could be so sublime, not to mention utterly romantic. Rich, indeed.

Now, if you're not a romantic at heart, you need not bother. But for the
rest of us,
Trevor Nunn's gorgeous revival of A Little Night Music is pure heaven.

So smitten was I that I closed my review rather wistfully:

There's little doubt that the bewitching allure of this excellent revival will follow other Menier productions to the West End, but how about to Broadway?

Well, maybe next year ... or so we can hope!


A little more than two months later, it was announced that the revival would indeed transfer to a West End berth. Then, just two months ago, came confirmation that the musical would be produced on Broadway with Catherine Zeta-Jones making her Great White Way debut in the coveted role of Desiree Armfeldt alongside Angela Lansbury as her mother, Madame Armfeldt.

Now, finally, we're but 24 hours away from the first preview and I know I'm not alone in anxiously awaiting my turn to see it fresh on the Main Stem after a long absence of more than 35 years.

Welcome back, A Little Night Music! This Thanksgiving, we're giving thanks that you're back on Broadway.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 23 November, 2009, Blogger Esther said...

This will be my introduction to "A Little Night Music." I'm very excited to finally see what makes it so beloved by so many of my friends.

 
At 24 November, 2009, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

I recall a lengthy phone call from you asking whether or not you should see it...uh, yes, of course, Steve, I also encouraged you to see it. It's just yet another of Sondheim's masterpieces. And yes, I'll be there tonight.

 
At 24 November, 2009, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Sarah, It was your nudge that put me over the top in going to see ths show. Thanks so very much. It quickly became one of my favorite Sondheim musicals.

Esther, you will love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner