Thursday, October 23, 2008

Putting Spring To Bed

Putting Spring To Bed

For the third time in less than one week, a Tony-winning Best Musical has posted its closing notices. This time, I'm downright shocked.

Spring Awakening, which had only won the Tony just last year, will shutter on January 18, 2009. The box office was still attracting a respectable 62.3% capacity crowd last week. With an average ticket price of $63.91, that was enough to earn the tuner $347,393 for the week.

But as the long-term prospects for the economy have regular theatregoers, along with the all-important tourists to New York, scrutinizing their discretionary dollars, I'm told that the almighty advance box office is disappointing at best and downright dismal at worst for many shows. It will make this winter a particularly chilly one for the Great White Way.

Personally, I enjoyed Spring Awakening. I gave this supercharged musical three-and-a-half stars shortly after seeing it from my front-row seat. As I said then, credit Michael Mayer’s expert direction for enabling this show from Steven Sater and Duncan Sheik to grapple with 19th Century German teen angst at a brisk, riveting -- and highly entertaining -- pace.

When Spring Awakening closes, it will have enjoyed 859 performances. But take heart, Spring Awakening fans -- the North American tour will continue on through at least next June.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 23 October, 2008, Blogger Vance said...

I knew it was coming but I'm still super sad about this.

 
At 24 October, 2008, Blogger JESSICA TAGHAP said...

It was inevitable, considering all the speculation, but still.

I'M UPSET.

 
At 24 October, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

I thought Spring Awakening would have lasted longer. It's the kind of show that attracts a lot of repeat visits. And the Best Musical Tony gives it some clout. I'm just so happy that I was able to see it last summer with the original cast. You're right about it being brisk, riveting and supercharged. Wish I'd seen this one from the front row! And I'm looking forward to seeing it again on tour.

 
At 24 October, 2008, Blogger Alicia said...

OK - we all know how I feel about this. I am definitely doing sadness with this announcement but mostly because it is a personal favorite of mine not because it was unexpected. *sigh*

 
At 24 October, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

OK, my dear friends... Like that song says, "I don't do sadness!!" Remember that there's always that upcoming film version, too!

 
At 25 October, 2008, Blogger Dale said...

I saw it twice in NY and the tour will be coming to Toronto this year so I'll likely see what the new gang bring to it. I've already encouraged everyone I know to see it. Surprised as well about this, it was a top notch show brimming with energy and talent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner