Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Getting My Theatre On

Getting My Theatre On

Ever go through withdrawals when you don't take in your favorite activities? Such is the case whenever I go too long without two essential passions: travel and theatre.

Fortunately, this week and next, I'm most certainly taking care of the first by virtue of my journey to Australia. This island nation/continent certainly ranks among my personal favorite places to visit, not only because of its sheer natural beauty, but especially because of its amazing people.

I even had a funny anti-American moment two days ago when a small group of U.S. youth, which had clearly gathered here for World Youth Day, was embarrassing itself with an impromptu dance on the street. A woman standing next to me at the street corner said derisively, "Must be an American thing," to which I replied, "Oh trust me, we're not laying claim to that." When she realized I was a Yank, the two of us had a great laugh. No worries, mate, we get that we're no longer admired quite the way we used to be, but more and more of us are in on the joke, too.

As for that other passion desperately in need of a fix, last evening, I had a chance to take in the Sydney production of Billy Elliot - The Musical at the stunningly over-the-top Capitol Theatre. After seeing it in London nearly three years ago, I was glad to be able to see a performance again prior to it opening in New York, particularly since this mounting includes the immensely talented Genevieve Lemon as Mrs. Wilkinson. She did not disappoint.

While I'll have my SOB Revisit sometime relatively soon, let's just say that this incarnation that's already been around Sydney since December, and will be mounted soon in Melbourne, didn't exactly "Shine, shine, shine" or seem filled with quite the requisite amount of "Electricity" I experienced in London. But it was entertaining, nonetheless, and gave me an opportunity to get my theatre on.

William Shakespeare's As You Like It introduced the phrase, "All the world's a stage." I realize how extremely fortunate I am to experience that in every sense of the world.

Post script: If you find no further postings through the rest of this week, it's because I'll be driving along the Australian coast for the next three days en route to Melbourne.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 23 July, 2008, Blogger par3182 said...

we haven't had billy elliot in melbourne yet; it's due here in december

here's wishing you a safe trip south

 
At 23 July, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

Yay, road trip!!! Hope you're having a fun drive. I'll be looking forward to your report from Melbourne.

 
At 23 July, 2008, Blogger JESSICA TAGHAP said...

Australia? BILLY ELLIOT?!?

I am quite jealous.

 
At 23 July, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry that this is off topic but just in case you didn't know, they did reveal the entire Godspell cast a couple days ago. It looks like it's going to be a great company of actors for the revival.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner