Thursday, July 17, 2008

Opening Night: On With The [show]

Opening Night: On With The [show]

Attention all [tos]sers! Tonight is your night!

After four long years of gestating, the little [show] that could is proving its ongoing magnificent metamorphosis by opening this evening at Broadway's Lyceum Theatre. After having seen its last incarnation, I can tell you that [title of show] is a truly original, unique theatrical experience unlike any other.

But don't just take my word for it. Here's how the official [title of show] site describes the ever-evolving work:

You're reading the official blurb, or short summary, of [title of show]. Blurb. That's a funny word. We spent a lot of time on this blurb so please read the whole blurb. [title of show] is a musical about two nobodies named Hunter and Jeff who decide to write a completely original musical starring themselves and their attractive and talented ladyfriends, Susan and Heidi. Their musical, [title of show], gets into the New York Musical Theatre Festival, and becomes a hit. Then it gets an off-Broadway production at the Vineyard Theatre, and wins three Obie Awards! Then (drumroll if you've got a drum) it's announced that their musical is going to Broadway (hooray!) and people start seeing this blurb everywhere! They read that The New York Times called [title of show] "DELECTABLE ENTERTAINMENT! A postmodern homage to the grand tradition of backstage musicals like Babes in Arms, Kiss Me, Kate and A Chorus Line." Fully intrigued, those people snatch up tickets and help make Hunter and Jeff's life-long dream come true!
Once again directed and choreographed by Michael Berresse, [title of show] stars co-creators Hunter Bell and Jeff Bowen as Hunter and Jeff, respectively. The duo are reteamed yet again with their original castmates Heidi Blickenstaff (as Heidi) and the handsome Susan Blackwell (as Susan).

How will this ultimate little show fare with the critics?

At this point, who cares?

The blogosphere has already been abounding with outright raves, including from Sarah B. at Adventures In The Endless Pursuit Of Entertainment (she's now seen the Broadway show twice and met The New York Times' Charles Isherwood, who will be providing the Grey Lady's official review tomorrow), Chris Caggiano at Everything I Know I Learned From Musicals and Gabriel at Modern Fabulousity.

(I'll be providing the critical response tomorrow anyway.)

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:
Broadway Preview: [title of show] (June 24, 2008)
[title of show] To Headline Broadway (April 4, 2008)
[title of show] (The SOB Review) (October 2, 2006)
Making a Name for Itself: [title of show] Extends (August 16, 2006)

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 17 July, 2008, Blogger JESSICA TAGHAP said...

hullo Steve On Broadway!

I am fully excited for [title of show]'s opening on the Great White Way...this is the one show I really wish I could have seen on opening night (ok, there are a couple of others)!

 
At 17 July, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

TAFKAJ, I only wish I could be there as well. But I'm equally enthusiastic and look forward to seeing how well the [tos] tale has evolved.

 
At 17 July, 2008, Blogger Aaron Riccio said...

It'll get a rave from me, as well. Along with the disclaimer that if I'd seen it at NYMF or Vineyard, I probably would NOT have liked it. As someone who has seen it before, I'm looking forward to hearing how the show has changed. It's my gut feeling that the additional 'Broadway' arc has more complex music, a rawer, less campy plot, and overall, gives the show the substance it needs to actually BE on Broadway.

 
At 17 July, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Very interesting perspective Aaron.

I was simply charmed by the Vineyard incarnation, and while I recognized then that if it ever wanted to head to Broadway, it would likely undergo changes, it certainly wore its heart on its sleeve.

I hope it still does.

 
At 17 July, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

I don't know about the critics, but I don't think I've ever seen the theatre blogosphere so excited about the opening of a show. Makes me wish I'd seen it!

 
At 17 July, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me a party pooper but I don't believe that a small show such as TOS belongs on Broadway. Why can't small low-budget shows stay off-Broadway and off-off-Broadway in small venues? As someone who pays full price usually for a Broadway show, I resent paying full Broadway price to see 4 actors accompanied by a keyboard.

 
At 17 July, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

So, BB, you're the kind who like to see your money up there on the stage! I can appreciate that. But have you seen the Off-Broadway incarnation?

Still, I've seen many an excellent one-hander production on Broadway, and if it's that good, I'm willing to pay for it.

 
At 17 July, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not seen the off-Broadway incarnation and but I heard the CD and liked it. I don't have a problem with the show- just have a problem with a little show on Broadway.

I must admit that I am not a big fan of one-person shows in big auditoriums either. I liked Vanessa Redgrave and Elaine Stritch's shows but didn't care so much for Billy Crystal's show and had zero interest in seeing Bronx tales.

And yes, I do like to see my money on a stage. Shows with reduced orchestrations in large auditoriums don't usually do it for me either (SUNDAY IN THE PARK and 110 In the Shade are notable exceptions).

Aside from the money aspect, small shows with small casts tend to lose their power and intimacy in a large auditorium.

 
At 21 July, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love me some [tos] and only wish it had been able to go into Circle in the Square, a theatre that I think would have ensured a longer run and a better stage for this production. That being said, only a small percentage of people need to pay full price for this since tickets are 50% off for the months ahead. That brings the cost to $55, a perfect price for what's up on the stage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner