Thursday, May 15, 2008

Theatre Bloggers I Know And Love

Theatre Bloggers I Know And Love

If there's icing on the cake for me as a theatre lover -- that is, in addition to actually sitting in a theatre to soak in a live performance -- it's meeting kindred spirits who share my unbridled enthusiasm and appreciation for the art form played out on the stage. And what deliciously sweet icing it has turned out to be.

Earlier, I've reported on how over just the past couple months, I have been meeting a number of bloggers who write predominantly about theatre. First (and actually coming last summer) was Esther at Gratuitous Violins, who graciously organized a bloggers roundtable in March that included Aaron at ‘kül That Sounds Cool, Alicia at Things You'll Learn To Love About Me, Chris at Everything I Know I Learned from Musicals, Jan at Broadway & Me, Jimmy at Third Row, Mezzanine, Kari at Casual Heap, Mike at The Lunar Gemini, Patrick at Just Shows To Go You and Sarah at Adventures in the Endless Pursuit of Entertainment. Last month, on my visit across the pond, my trip was not complete without finally meeting up with Andrew and Phil at West End Whingers. And just a couple Saturdays ago, it was my pleasure to meet Gabriel of Modern Fabulousity.

Given how wonderfully accessible these individuals are, I've enjoyed getting to know some of these terrific bloggers even better since initial meetings. In fact, I feel a real bond, friendship and sense of community that respects disagreement, where dissent is welcomed, but also where points on which we're simpatico are savored.

Now, over the past week, I've had the immense honor of formally meeting two other fine theatre bloggers, Eric of Man In Chair (whimsically named for the character created by Bob Martin for The Drowsy Chaperone) and Kevin from Theatre Aficionado At Large (who has this incredibly encyclopedic mind capable of pulling virtually any YouTube performance out of his hat). Just as I've earlier enjoyed meeting the diverse array of other theatre bloggers before them, I was genuinely thrilled meeting these two gentlemen as we exchanged stories about our own unique theatregoing experiences.

In the event you haven't already checked out Man In Chair, here's a nice little thumbnail:
Man in Chair came about after reading a few articles about blogging, and taking some valuable advice from a friend about following your passion. Theatre is my passion. After 39 years on this earth, I’ve finally come to realize that theatre is in my life to stay. I just have to be open to the various incarnations it inhabits.
Likewise, if you want to get a sense of what Theatre Aficionado At Large is about, here's his synopsis:
Just a place where I can rant and rave and be a total lunatic about theatre, film and anything artistic that strikes me as entertaining, interesting or important.
What this all leads me to is a new blog order on the right hand side of my site. I'm now going to split my reads into "Theatre Bloggers SOB Knows and Loves" with the aforementioned folks listed, and all the remaining theatre bloggers I continue enjoy reading (and hopefully, someday, will also be able to meet if the stars align and they're so willing).

Here's to an outstanding, thoughtful and eminently fun group of theatre lovers. I'm looking forward to our next adventures.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Related Stories:
ModFab Helps Kiss The World Better (May 5, 2008)
Whinging My Way Into Second Anniversary (April 24, 2008)
Blog Day Afternoon (March 31, 2008)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 16 May, 2008, Blogger Kevin Daly said...

Aww, shucks folks, I'm speechless.

About a month or so ago, I was in the middle of writing a blog entry and thought, "Only three people read this, why should I bother?" I've gladly and gratefully learned otherwise in the past few weeks, which in turn has only led me to blog even more than before.

Thank you for the kind words. It's a privilege to be a blogger you know and love. :)

 
At 16 May, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, I'm honored to know you and to be loved by you...Your tenacity for this blogging thing and your passion for this theatre thing are both an inspiration for me to keep doing it too.

Eric

www.maninchair.com

 
At 16 May, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Cheers to both of you. Now we just have to figure out a time to see a show together. After all, that's what this theatre blogging thing is all about, right?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner