Monday, March 31, 2008

Blog Day Afternoon

Blog Day Afternoon

It's no secret I love to talk about live theatre. In fact, aside from travel and politics, it's one of my greatest passions.

Yet despite the great discussion from a couple weeks ago on the value of theatre, I find myself rarely discussing anything pertaining to the stage with friends or family. My discussions are largely relegated to this forum.

Fortunately, over the weekend, thanks to Esther at Gratuitous Violins, 11 bloggers who are predominantly focused on theatre became friends and family as we joined together for a freewheeling brunch at Angus McIndoe's -- one of the Broadway theatre district's more renowned hot spots.

While the group was just a tad too large for all of us to get to know each and every person assembled, I couldn't help but feel a special kinship with the intelligent, thoughtful, insightful, funny and genuinely nice men and women seated around our extended table. Sharing stories that ranged from our seminal theatre experiences to our favorite theatre moments, as well as glimpses into our own backgrounds that in turn precipitated our interest in the stage, made this a meal to savor in every respect.

There may be a preconceived notion out there that bloggers are wonky nerds. Well, that may be true depending on the topic being blogged, but given the very communal and experiential nature of live theatre, it came as no surprise to me that nothing could be farther from the truth when it came to this fine cross-section of the larger theatre blogging community.

Even better, when we invariably disagreed, the respect for each other's point of view was unassailable. Perhaps it's the realization that our divergence and diversity of opinions actually make live theatre blogging ever more relevant to anyone seeking to better understand the stage.

So to my new friends and family, Aaron at ‘kül That Sounds Cool, Alicia at Things You'll Learn To Love About Me, Chris at Everything I Know I Learned from Musicals, Jan at Broadway & Me, Jimmy at Third Row, Mezzanine, Kari at Casual Heap, Mike at The Lunar Gemini, Patrick at Just Shows To Go You, Sarah at Adventures in the Endless Pursuit of Entertainment and of course, my dear "sister" Esther at Gratuitous Violins -- as well as Bill and Kristen -- I'll not only raise a glass to each of you, but look forward to continuing to share live theatre experiences with each of you, be they in person or in our blogs.

I'm thrilled to have met so many others who share my passion. Here's to you!

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 31 March, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Post Script: As my blog roll along the right hand side of Steve On Broadway demonstrates, there are many, many more outstanding theatre blogs well worth reading.

If you have a theatre blog and aren't currently listed, please let me know so I may add you to the list. After all, you can never have too much dialog.

Cheers!

 
At 31 March, 2008, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

Amen SOB! And if anybody calls you a wonky nerd again, I'm going to deck 'em!

 
At 31 March, 2008, Blogger karigee said...

Fabulous wrap-up -- it was great meeting you guys. Hope to see you again soon. Broadway blog brunches are the best!

 
At 31 March, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

Thanks Steve! I'm so glad everyone had a good time. You've summed it up perfectly, so for once, I really have nothing to add! Maybe I'll start a new career as an events planner for blogging meetups. ;-)

 
At 01 April, 2008, Blogger Mike said...

I saw no wonky nerds! Except maybe in the bathroom mirror. :-)

 
At 01 April, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gladly and willingly cop to both "wonky" and "nerd," at least when it comes to theater. I only wish I got to talk to the folks at the other end of the table. Ah, well, maybe next time.

Chris

 
At 01 April, 2008, Blogger Alicia said...

It really was a great weekend. It went by far too quickly... But better quickly than not to have happened at all. :)

 
At 02 April, 2008, Blogger Vance said...

Oh man! so jealous! sounded like fun!

 
At 02 April, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm jealous, too...and I live here! It just goes to show that even in the blogosphere, there are cool kids...and me. ;-(

 
At 03 April, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

ModFab, No, no, no, no, no, no, no! No one could possibly be more cool or fabulous than you! And Vance is right up there with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner