Friday, March 21, 2008

The "R" Word

The "R" Word

What does the economy have to do with Broadway? Plenty.

And a quick read of Gordon Cox's Variety story in which he examines the fortunes of the Great White Way during the last real r........ -- I can't actually say the word. We may already be in one, but you see I don't want to be accused by anyone of a self-fulfulling prophesy -- and you'll see that during the last r........ before 9/11, the impact meant:

...the number of new productions on the boards dropped to 30 (vs. 39 the season prior)
and

...ticket sales, which in 1989-90 tallied slightly more than 8 million, but then sank to about 7.3 million for the next two seasons.
and

...the 1989-90 cume of $282 million dwindling to $267 million the following season before climbing back up to $293 million in 1991-92.
Let's just hope that if we get in one, we get out quickly.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 21 March, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

Very interesting article. I hadn't seen it.

I'm a little concerned about the talks with Actors Equity. I hope it doesn't turn into another situation like the stagehands, where we're facing a strike in the middle of the summer tourism season.

Anyway, I'm doing my best to pump money into the Broadway economy!

 
At 21 March, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Esther, I share your concern and your desire to do my bit to support the industry I love so much. Obviously, like other folks, I will cut back if I need to. But hopefully that won't happen anytime soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner