Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Color Purple Turns Pink, As In Slip

The Color Purple Turns Pink, As In Slip

UPDATE (11:10 a.m. EST): I have now received official confirmation that The Color Purple has in fact, posted its closing notice for February 24.

According to the news release I've received:
The producers of The Color Purple announced today that the show will play its final performance on Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 7:30pm, after playing 30 preview performances and 910 regular performances at the Broadway Theatre. Now in its third year on Broadway, The Color Purple recouped its entire $11 million investment in its first year on Broadway, having grossed over $103,000,000.

Overnight, I received a message from someon within the current Broadway production of The Color Purple:
The Color Purple posted notice after tonight's performance. We will close February 24.
I'm currently seeking official confirmation, but if the production has indeed posted its closing notices for the end of next month, the Tony winning musical -- with book by Marsha Norman and score by Brenda Russell, Allee Willis and Stephen Bray -- will have ultimately played a total of 910 performances at the Broadway Theatre. The incredible LaChanze earned a Tony for her brave portrayal of Celie -- a performance I'll never forget.

Last week, the show took in $477,154 at the box office and was filled to 62.4% of capacity. That was up markedly from where it had been just a week earlier when the total take was a paltry $388,937 with just 45.9% capacity. Of course, some of its major mojo luster was gone as Fantasia Barrino left the show on January 6, but Chaka Khan joined The Color Purple. on January 9, while another Idol alum LaKisha Jones became part of the cast in December.

I'll let you know once I've had official confirmation.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:
End Of Purple Reign? (December 13, 2007)
Coloring The Town Purple With Discounts (December 1, 2007)
The Color Purple (The SOB Revisit) (August 11, 2007)
Curse Of The Understudy - Part III (July 23, 2007)
Winter Blues For Color Purple (February 5, 2007)
The Tonys: If I Could Vote...for Best Musical (May 31, 2006)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 24 January, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is a headline now on B'way.com that states the closing date as Feb. 24th........

 
At 24 January, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Thanks Anonymous, As I said, I received official confirmation with the February 24 closing date.

 
At 24 January, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

This is the first show that we saw together, so I feel especially sad that it's closing.

I hope it has a successful life on tour. I guess 910 performances isn't too shabby. Nothing runs forever - except Phantom of the Opera! Still, it's sad. Perhaps the serious themes made it a difficult sell, and maybe some people were put off by the apparently erratic attendance record of its recent star. Although as I've said, I don't think it needed a star.

The Color Purple will always hold a special place in my heart, because that's where I found my brother. It's not every evening you leave the theater with a new sibling!

 
At 24 January, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

And congratulations on your scoop!

 
At 24 January, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Esther, Ah yes, seeing The Color Purple with you by my side was one of my high points from last year.

If anyone beyond the two of us is reading this, let me explain. Esther and I had gotten to know each other ever since she sent me a message about Kevin Spacey's then upcoming appearance in A Moon For The Misbegotten.

When she made her second trip to Broadway last summer, we arranged to get together. And since I knew she was going to see The Color Purple, I bought my own ticket - separately - to see the same performance.

Lo and behold, by some stroke of fate (or the hand of the almighty Oprah) our seats were right next to each other. It was meant to be.

Esther's become not only a dear friend, but I cherish her just like I do my own sister.

So Esther, here's to many more adventures together!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner