Thursday, October 11, 2007

Vulture Scoops Up Kevin Chamberlin

Vulture Scoops Up Kevin Chamberlin

I've mentioned previously how much I admire the work of Kevin Chamberlin. He's the number one reason (honest, I swear) why I'm looking forward to seeing the revival of Terrence McNally's The Ritz, which opens this evening.

I first caught Chamberlin in the vastly underrated 1992 tuner My Favorite Year. But when I really sat up and took notice was when he offered such a funny, yet heartfelt performance in Dirty Blonde toward the beginning of this decade; it was no small wonder he earned a Tony nomination. He repeated that feat a year later with a nod for his work in Seussical, with many thinking he was about the only good thing in that dud.

While he has three other Broadway credentials to his name, it's been over six long years since Chamberlin last opened on the Great White Way. Portraying Gaetano Proclo in The Ritz, Chamberlin inherits a role originally created by the late Jack Weston.

All that leads me to a great Q and A from New York magazine's Vulture columnist Annsley Chapman, who probes Chamberlin on today's audience reactions to a 35 year old show set in a gay bath house. Interestingly enough, one female audience member was so scandalized by the content that Chamberlin said she had an altercation with the director. Chamberlin muses, "I mean, look at the poster, for God’s sake!"

I'll be taking in the show in the next few days. Look for my critics' capsule tomorrow morning.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Related Stories:
Tonight: Puttin' On The Ritz (October 11, 2007)
Before The Holidays Strike? (September 25, 2007)
The Ritz: Studio 54 To Transform Into Baths (May 31, 2007)
Flashback: Best of 2003-04 (May 25, 2006)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner