Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Pygmalion Revival: There Is Nothing Like A Danes?

Pygmalion Revival: There Is Nothing Like A Danes?

According to Playbill, The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Claire Danes has been cast in the David Grindley-helmed fall revival of George Bernard Shaw's classic (and one of my all-time favorites) Pygmalion.

Known for her riveting performances both on the big and little screens, Danes will make her Broadway debut as Eliza Doolittle opposite Jefferson Mays as Henry Higgins. The Roundabout Theatre Company's limited run opens October 18 at the American Airlines Theatre.

Will she have the chops for the street urchin-cum-debutante? My guess is that she most definitely will, and I predict that this will be yet another Great White Way offering that attracts first-time theatre audiences. Personally, I can't wait to see her spar with Mays.

Which leads me to a friendly reminder that my current SOB Poll in which I ask what motivates you to attend Broadway shows is still available for your voting:
Opinion Polls & Market Research



This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Related Stories:
Casting News That's Anything But De-Bate-Able (May 13, 2007)

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 12 July, 2007, Blogger Mondschein said...

I was so excited to read about this yesterday. I don't know how much stage work Miss Danes has on her resume, but as a trained dancer and with some terrific film/tv work, my hopes are quite high for this performance.

 
At 12 July, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

You and me both, Mondschein. There is a level of intellect that just shines through in whatever I've seen Claire Danes perform in that I have high expectations - much more so than last year's Julia Roberts debut on Broadway (although I do think she was unfairly dissed).

 
At 18 July, 2007, Blogger Interval Drinks said...

Ooh, now that is exciting. I just saw Peter Hall's production of Pygmalion at the Theatre Royal in Bath and Michelle Dockery, the girl, who played Eliza gave a pretty near perfect performance. It's a pretty hard role to pull off, but then I was 15 when My So Called Life was screened in the UK and am therefore hard-wired to like Danes in whatever she does.

 
At 18 July, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

There are some who are already decrying her addition to the cast, but I'm not one of them. Like you, I actually look forward to each coming work by this talented actress.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner