Tuesday, July 10, 2007
After perhaps more previews than any other Broadway show in recent memory (49) -- or ever, thanks in part to the an injury that befell original male lead James Carpinello, Xanadu finally rolls into opening night on the Great White Way.
Based on the infamous 1980 Olivia Newton-John vehicle and packed with hits by the Australian diva and Electric Light Orchestra, Xanadu camps things up considerably via a book by Douglas Carter Beane (The Little Dog Laughed).
Xanadu's cast includes Kerry Butler, Cheyenne Jackson,
Tony Roberts, Jackie Hoffman and Mary Testa.
Will critics enjoy the ride? Find out tomorrow as I provide a critics' capsule, along with my own review.
This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).
Click here for ticket information.
Life is a stage. Act appropriately. - steve on broadway (sob)
SOB's Current Headlines
- Everything's Coming Up Patti!
- Thanks, Mel!
- Tony Winner Julie White Transforms Herself
- 1776 (The SOB Review)
- What Motivates You To See A Broadway Show?
- SOB: Scammers Off-Broadway, Or Out Of Africa
- Winnipeg's Lucrezia Borgia At The Fringe
- "Those Who Give Up Some Of Their Liberty In Order ...
- What's That Saying About Imitation And Flattery?
- Grey Gardens Fades To Black Later This Month
The SOB Poll
Current Broadway Shows
Broadway's 2010-11 Theatrical Season
- Name: Steve On Broadway (SOB)
- Location: United States
As someone who has been involved in both politics and public relations, it's no wonder I love watching theatre. Good or bad, it's the raw energy of seeing a live performance that gets my adrenaline pumping. From the moment I saw my very first Broadway show ("Annie" in London in 1979), I was hooked. Now I see as many as 70 shows each year ranging from soaring musicals to two-hander plays. And these eyes just may be in an audience near you!
Subscribe to SOB
Follow SOB on Twitter
Follow SOB on Facebook
Real-Live Bloggers SOB Knows Personally
Other Blogs SOB Reads
One Blog Read That Can Positively Change Lives
SOB's Favorite Theatre Sites
- American Theatre Wing
- American Theatre Wing's Tony Awards
- Live Broadway
- Internet Broadway Database
- Broadway TV
- Broadway Across America
- Society of London Theatre's Laurence Olivier Awards
- London's What's On Stage
- London Theatre Guide
- New York Post Theater Blog
- New York Times Arts Beat Blog
- Theatre.com (London)
- Steppenwolf Theatre