Thursday, July 12, 2007

Ever After Happily Begins With Reading

Ever After Happily Begins With Reading

A little known secret about me that I'm divulging publicly for the first time today is that I'm a hopeless romantic. Hopeless, I tell you.

Now, this isn't just some souped-up fantasy of what life or love should be from some guy who's forever unlucky in love. No, I'm blessed to have long since found the love of my life.

What I am saying is that whether it's my own personal, ongoing affair of the heart (which has included everything from surprise flowers to jetting off to London for a long weekend) or my embrace of all things love elsewhere (via stage, film or even song), nothing gets my sentimental side more than a good dose of romance.

Back in 1998, I was thrilled to see a movie for which I had low expectations. The little flick was called "Ever After" and starred Drew Barrymore as a real-life interpretation of the fairy-tale Cinderella. To say I was mesmerized would be a gross understatement. I adored this film.

Just when I thought all my excitement over film-turned-stage musicals was over, along comes news that an invitation-only reading of Ever After is taking place next week in Manhattan. The tuner being produced by Adam Epstein (Hairspray and The Wedding Singer) has its sights trained on the Great White Way for sometime in 2009. Estimable director of plays Doug Hughes is currently at the helm. Zina Goldrich is scoring the music, while Marcy Heisler provides the libretto and lyrics. The wildly talented and ubiquitous Rob Ashford is choreographing the musical.

According to Playbill, the cast for the reading includes Elena Shaddow as Danielle, the Cinderella-style heroine, Max von Essen as the Prince and Jan Maxwell as the evil Baroness Rodmilla.

I'm wistfully intrigued.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner