Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Camelot Tour Gains New York Casting

Camelot Tour Gains New York Casting

Late yesterday, I learned that one of my personal favorite underrated stage actresses, Rachel York, has now been cast as Guenevere in the upcoming touring production of the Frederick Lowe/Alan Jay Lerner musical Camelot. I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of this musical, but once I learned that she would be starring in the show with Michael York (no relation) as King Arthur, I couldn't help but get tickets.

I can't help myself. I think Rachel York excels in practically every show in which I've seen her.

My first opportunity to catch this incredibly multi-talented actress dates all the way back to 1990 when she was a featured player in City Of Angels. But ever since seeing York as the deliciously ditzy Norma Cassidy, alongside the legendary Julie Andrews in 1995's Victor/Victoria, I began specifically seeking out her always entertaining performances.

Since then, I've had an opportunity to see her in everything from the touring production of the celebrated 1999 revival of Kiss Me, Kate to the 2004 Broadway revival of Sly Fox to her replacement performance earlier this year in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, also on the Great White Way. York has always been capable of turning out memorable performances, regardless of the material, so it's with that in mind that I don't mind making a return to Camelot if only to see her (and potentially be pleasantly surprised by a different vision of this classic musical).

In addition to Michael York, Rachel York will co-star along with James Barbour (Assassins) as Lancelot. The Camelot tour gets underway in January in San Jose, California and is expected to continue through the first half of the year.

Even if the touring revival confirms my initial impression that this is one truly overrated show, I have confidence that Rachel York will provide a reliable oasis of talent.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Click here for tickets.
Great Scott...She's Back! Sherie René Scott Returns to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (June 21, 2006)
Lucie Arnaz Plays Omaha Chic in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (May 23, 2006)

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 08 November, 2006, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

I've never had the honor of meeting Rachel York, but I can enthusiastically ditto every other remark you've made, Broadway Baby! I really believe she deserves a wider audience than she's had to date.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner