Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Look Out! There Goes The Spider-Man?

Look Out! There Goes The Spider-Man?

Something occurred Sunday evening that even Michael Riedel of the New York Post probably didn't expect ever would. Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark actually began preview performances.

Premature to be sure, but a preview nonetheless.

But now a column by The New York Times' Patrick Healy questions whether Spider-Man will have legs. His story indicates that the Foxwoods Theatre's new General Manager Erich Jungwirth has begun introducing himself to producers, asking them to consider his 1,932 seat venue for their Broadway shows.

Just smart business or a desperate move?

For the record, I have my ticket to see Spider-Man on Saturday, December 18. It was initially to be among the final preview performances before the previously scheduled December 21 opening, but now it will simply be one of nearly 50 previews leading up to the new opening night of January 11.

To be honest, I can't wait to see it. And no, I am certainly not hoping for a colossal failure. Since I pay for every ticket to every show I see, I go into each one hoping for the best. Whatever Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark turns out to be, it will likely be one to really remember.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post.



Powered by FeedBurner

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 30 November, 2010, Blogger robertwalport said...

I got lucky and now have a ticket for December 12th (it was no doubt your presence in London that made the ticketmaster gods look favourably on me).

I'm with you in wanting it to be a success, in fact, preferably the most awesome thing ever. I'm pretty sure it won't be, both financially and artistically things appear pretty rocky, but I'll be disappointed if it's a disaster. They've just built the hype so high and with shows like Cirque's "KA" in the world they've got a mountain to climb if they really want to create something special...

TTC

 
At 01 December, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be seeing it tomorrow night. Artistically it may be weak from what friends have said who saw it, but there'll be $$$$$$ driven by curiousity that will help drive finances. This past Sunday's gross of $200K if it holds up X 8 performances weekly......HMMM? You do the numbers! Looks like it could cover weekly run costs and theater/royalty costs, so a breakeven is not out of reach, IF THESE NUMBERS HOLD UP! Looking forward to tomorrow night!

 
At 02 December, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must clarify my previous post re the $$$$$$$, Sunday and weekly gross, etc. "Breakeven is not out of reach"........meaning breakeven on a weekly basis to run the show. This does not mean "recoup," getting back the the $65MM invested to put the show up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner