Thursday, May 10, 2007

Will Mamet Offer Hail To Nathan Lane?

Will Mamet Offer Hail To Nathan Lane?

Campbell Robertson reports in this morning's The New York Times that a new David Mamet play called November will make its Broadway debut sometime next January. The comedy to be helmed by Joe Mantello is about an incumbent president running for re-election.

According to Robertson, the "chatter" surrounding the production is that Nathan Lane might be cast as President Charles Smith. Lane's name, of course, has also been attached to the percolating stage musical version of the hit movie "Catch Me If You Can."

With or without Lane, I'm intrigued by the premise of this play that's described as "three men in a room trying to work things out." This would be the esteemed playwright's first work to premiere on the Great White Way.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Related Stories:
Catching Nathan Lane If You Can (July 6, 2006)


Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10 May, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm excited about both of these, with or without Nathan Lane. (Although I'd love to see hm on stage!) As you know, I just saw Hairspray on tour, and I loved the music. So I'm eager to find out what Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman will do with Catch Me If You Can. And a political play from Mamet sounds really interesting.

 
At 10 May, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Esther, I would certainly expect Scott Wittmann and Marc Shaiman to work their magic in an inventive way with the score. They have such a knack for clever writing...

My personal favorite was their little ditty in the film "Down With Love" (that may also be found as a stand-alone video on the DVD extras) called "Here's To Love." Wittmann and Shaiman are even featured in the video as Renée Zellweger and Ewan McGregor sing and dance. It's 60s-style sophication perfected.

As for Mamet's play, I have now have it at the top of my list for shows I'll take in during the new Broadway season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner