Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Night At The Opera / A Day At The Races

A Night At The Opera / A Day At The Races

Over the past week, I've enjoyed a nearly perfect trifecta.

My adventures began last Thursday night in attending an exquisite recital offered by the divine Renée Fleming at the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts in St. Paul, Minnesota. Sure, it may not have been an actual opera, but the evening certainly gave me a much deeper appreciation for one of the world's most beloved art forms.

To see my full chronicles of the evening, please click here where I've provided my dear friend Sarah Roberts of Adventures in the Endless Pursuit of Entertainment with my full account of my transformation into Steve On Opera (SOO). Without Sarah's enthusiasm and encouragement, I most certainly would have missed out on this incredible opportunity.

The second win I scored in this trifecta came Saturday and Sunday in Lexington, Kentucky. My Love Of My Life (LOML) and I used the past weekend to visit our friends Daniel and Donna. After first cementing our friendship with them at the 2008 Tony Awards, we've enjoyed opportunities to see them everywhere from London to our home turf. So it was our turn to repay the favor of a visit, which came over the weekend in Lexington.

As any horse-lover knows, Lexington is the epicenter of America's equestrian community, if not the world's. Our weekend in Kentucky coincided with the World Equestrian Games, making this vibrant yet quaint city come alive. So it should come as no surprise that we concluded the visit at the city's storied Keeneland for some thoroughbred racing. For me it's a win anytime I have a chance to get up close and personal with horses.

The third winning part of my weekend came after I thumbed through Keeneland's roster of races. In the seventh race, I noticed that the #7 horse was named Acronym. As a fan of acronyms personally -- I am SOB, after all -- I made my meager wager on this 8-1 shot to win. 

Acronym not only led the pack for most of the race, but handily won. And I could not have left Kentucky or our fine friends any happier.

What a winning week.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).



In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner