Wednesday, December 16, 2009

SOB's Least Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #1- Triple Espresso

SOB's Least Favorite Shows Of The Noughties: #1 - Triple Espresso (2008, Music Box Theatre, Minneapolis, MN)

Introduction: Hard as it is to comprehend that we're already 119 months into this "new" millennium, we are fast approaching the end of its first decade. While we have yet to agree on what exactly we should call the '00s, I'll take a cue from the fine folks at The Times of London and the BBC and henceforth refer to them at the Noughties.

With that small introduction, I'm not only pleased to present my list of my top 25 favorite plays and musicals of the Noughties, but also a simultaneous countdown of my five least favorite shows out of the hundreds and hundreds of shows I've seen over the last ten years.

"Want to see a good show? Then you'll want to avoid Triple Espresso the way I do Starbucks," I warned nearly two years ago after seeing this buzz-kill.

More a musical revue than a musical, Triple Espresso had inexplicably been a staple of the Minneapolis theatre scene since opening in the spring of 1997. When I learned the show had set a closing date, I figured I'd try to see what kept the show percolating for so long. While Triple Espresso dubbed itself "A highly caffeinated comedy," I could have used a little of that high octane stuff to get me through the warmed-over schlock. Simultaneously, it tasted as if it had been on the burner way too long without ever having been fully brewed to begin with.

Triple Espresso revolved around an eponymous comedy trio reuniting after 25 years apart. The closest to "real" fame the three -- Hugh Butternut (Michael Pearce Donley), Bobby Bean (Brian Kelly) and Buzz Maxwell (George Tovar), get it?! -- ever came was in a botched appearance on the 70s "Mike Douglas" talk show.

Lame attempts to involve the bored audience were exacerbated by largely unfunny schtick borrowed unceasingly from all things the 70s. The only thing I kept wondering was how this show could have been so underdeveloped and yet lasted so long.

Unfortunately, Triple Espresso was bad to the last drop. No wonder it "earns" the dubious distinction as my least favorite show of the entire decade.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

In keeping with the new Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations that unfairly discriminate against bloggers, who are now required by law to disclose when they have received anything of value they might write about, please note that I have received nothing of value in exchange for this post. I paid my own way for this performance.




Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 16 December, 2009, Blogger Linda said...

The worst show I saw this decade (probably ever) was "Starlight Express" in Boston. Usually I can find a few positive things to say, but this had no redeeming qualities whatsoever (not even in the cast).

 
At 17 December, 2009, Blogger Mike Donley said...

Ouch. Oh well, TE isn't everyone's cup of tea. I can't tell you why it's been around for so long, other than people tend to have a great time and tell their friends. I'm sorry you had a bad time. I hope someday you'll give us another try. - Michael Pearce Donley (one of the writers of the show)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner