Sunday, May 31, 2009

My Year On Broadway: Most To Least

My Year On Broadway: Most To Least

Of the 44* new Broadway shows and revivals that opened on the Great White Way during the 2008-09 Theatrical Season, I saw 28 of them.

The number increases to 31 if you count my previous viewings of Billy Elliot - The Musical (2005) and God Of Carnage (2008) in London and White Christmas in St. Paul (2006), and even 32 if you count my earlier Off-Broadway viewing of [title of show](2006).

The productions I never had a chance to see before they closed include Cirque Dreams, A Tale Of Two Cities, A Man For All Seasons, American Buffalo, Dividing The Estate or Soul Of Shaolin. Of the current shows, I most likely will not see Irene's Vow, The Philanthropist or Accent On Youth, but I already have post-Tony Award tickets to see both Mary Stuart and Waiting For Godot. I'm still hoping to get to Joe Turner's Come And Gone.

While I'll write shortly about the best and worst shows I've seen over the past year -- with some topping my lists from Off-Broadway or London -- I thought I'd rank all the Main Stem shows I've seen during the 2008-09 Theatrical Season beginning with those I liked the most to the least (you may click on each to see my full SOB Review).

* Please note that I count the three individual installments of The Norman Conquests separately, since each can certainly stand on its own. However, for the sake of this ranking, you'll see that I've placed all three portions of The Norman Conquests together as my favorite Broadway experience of the year.

So here's my most to least favorite list of the Broadway shows I've seen over the past year:

The Norman Conquests ****
Speed-The-Plow ***1/2
next to normal ***1/2
9 To 5 ***1/2
Impressionism ***1/2
Hair ***
reasons to be pretty ***
33 Variations ***
Blithe Spirit ***
13 ***
Shrek The Musical ***
Liza's At The Palace...! ***
Pal Joey ***
The American Plan ***
West Side Story **1/2
Equus **1/2
Exit The King **1/2
The Seagull **1/2
The Story Of My Life **
Desire Under The Elms **
All My Sons **
Hedda Gabler **
Guys And Dolls *1/2
Rock Of Ages *1/2
To Be Or Not To Be *1/2
You're Welcome America. A Final Night With George W Bush *

What were your most and least favorite Broadway shows of the past year?

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 01 June, 2009, Blogger Vance said...

hmm... if I can count pre-Broadway engagements (*) as well, I'd probably say my list looked like this (off the top of my head, I reserve the right to change it on my blog. lol):
Hair*
West Side Story*
13
The Norman Conquests
[title of show]
Billy Elliot
Exit the King
9 to 5*
The American Plan
Pal Joey
Dividing the Estate
All My Sons
Speed the Plow
33 Variations
Equus
God of Carnage
next to normal*
Guys and Dolls
Rock of Ages
The Seagull
Shrek

 
At 02 June, 2009, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Looks like we agree more than disagree, Vance. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 12 October, 2010, Anonymous Electric girl said...

Wow you certainly get to see a lot of shows!! I get to one a year apart from stuff my kids are in..still I did hit lucky this year when my eldest did a show in the West End but thats not likely to happen again for a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner