Sunday, December 14, 2008

Fairy Tale Beginning? Shrek Opens On Broadway

Fairy Tale Beginning? Shrek Opens On Broadway

At long last, the journey from book to film -- well, actually three of them -- to Broadway tuner is complete as Shrek The Musical opens Sunday.

Based on William Steig's 32-page children's read "Shrek!" this incarnation features a score by Jeanine Tesori and David Lindsay-Abaire, who also wrote the show's libretto. Helmed by Jason Moore and choreographed by Josh Prince, Shrek The Musical stars Brian d'Arcy James as the eponymous ogre and Sutton Foster as Princess Fiona.

Of course, considerable early press focused on major casting changes since the initial Seattle tryout; both Chester Gregory II and Kecia Lewis-Evans are long since out, but Daniel Breaker is now in. More recently, as Chris Caggiano noted in his early middling review over on Everything I Know I Learned From Musicals, a December 2 preview was canceled to allow for even more substantive changes.

Will critics respond well to the revisions? Find out tomorrow as I post my critics' capsule.

This is Steve On Broadway.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 14 December, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw it last night and laughed my... Butt off
Going home on the subway I wore my grandsons Shrek ears
I let my freak flag Fly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner