Thursday, December 11, 2008
Time Picks Billy Elliot As Year's Best
Calling it a "show that that really earns its cheers and tears," even though "the cast and production don't quite measure up to the brilliant London original," Time magazine's theatre writer Richard Zoglin names Billy Elliot - The Musical as the year's number one musical or play. (Meanwhile, the Associated Press' Michael Kuchwara also included Billy Elliot on his top ten list.)
Below are Zoglin's other picks and my running commentary:
2. Hair -- I missed the Central Park version, but hope to catch it come February at Broadway's Al Hirschfeld.
3. All My Sons -- I'll have to respectfully disagree, although I found both John Lithgow and Patrick Wilson to be superb.
4. The Visit -- Hurrah! I loved this production last Memorial Day while at the DC area's Signature Theatre. When will it finally receive a well-deserved New York City run?
5. Black Watch -- This ranks as my biggest disappointment of the year, not because I didn't like it, but because I was unable to see it. Shame on me.
6. reasons to be pretty -- I'll look forward to catching once it opens at Broadway's Lyceum Theatre in March 2009.
8. Blasted -- Blasted! I missed this one, too! But it's still playing at the SoHo Rep.
10. Farragut North -- Hey, I tried to get tickets, but the show sold out on me!
This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).