Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Catching Up On Reading...

Catching Up On Reading...

Since I'm just back from vacation and catching up on a mountain of work, as well as all the latest theatre news, I thought I'd use today to pause and let you know what I'm reading:

The eternally effervescent Sarah at Adventures in the Endless Pursuit of Entertainment offers an illuminating piece on the organization responsible for the Tony Awards: The American Theatre Wing.

New England's finest bloggers Chris Caggiano (Everything I Know I Learned from Musicals) and Esther (Gratuitous Violins) tell us how The Drowsy Chaperone is faring on its Boston tour stop. Chris comes at it from the perspective of a long-time fan, while Esther has seen it for the first time.

Broadway Undercover was fortunate to get into the actual catered affair for A Catered Affair and snapped a few photos in the process. Meanwhile Modern Fabulousity tells us to ignore Big Ben's take on the musical and just go see it. I will, ModFab, in about a week, and given all those Drama Desk nominations, I'm really looking forward to it.

And finally, a reminder from my new best friends Andrew and Phil of the West End Whingers that there really have been worse musicals than Gone With The Wind (read: Carrie). Last Thursday, I spotted a story delineating the 10 worst musicals of all time as endured by London's Telegraph.

Happy reading!

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 30 April, 2008, Blogger Esther said...

Thanks for the shoutout. It's an honor to be mentioned in the same sentence as the very witty and talented, and by far more knowledgeable, Chris Caggiano!

Even though we're all writing (mostly) about the theatre, as your reading list shows, there's such a range of topics. Even when we review the same show, we come at it from a different perspective.

And I'm looking forward to all of my shows next week, including "A Catered Affair" and "The Country Girl." I'm the eternal theatre optimist!

But Steve, seriously, what's this about Andrew and Phil?! Your new best friends?! Ok, as long as I'm still your favorite Jewish sister living in Rhode Island. I think I've got a lock on that one! ;-)

 
At 30 April, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Esther, Like you, I'm looking forward to catching both A Catered Affair and The Country Girl and making up my own mind on each. And of course, you're still my favorite Jewish sister living in Rhode Island!!

 
At 30 April, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, this is getting out of hand. We're theater queens: we're supposed to be bitchy back-stabbers (Just read Michael Riedel's column today for proof.) All this unconditional positive regard. It's a foreign concept to me. ;-)

Seriously, folks, I really hope you like A Catered Affair. It's small, quiet, unassuming, and very moving. And the performances are simply splendid. Yeah, it's slow and a bit colorless. But it has the most heart and feeling of any musical this season.

 
At 30 April, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Chris, How is anyone supposed to follow your lead and learn everything from musicals if you don't provide a link to the story you're talking about?!

Seriously, here's the link to Michael Riedel's hilarious column. Can't wait to sneak up on him and Nathan Lane some time. Strange bedfellows, indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner