Friday, February 01, 2008

Godspeed To A Visionary Broadway Legend

Godspeed To A Visionary Broadway Legend

Forgive me for not writing earlier, but I just finally had a chance to read Riedel's column in today's the New York Post and was shocked to learn that legendary Broadway director and producer Harold Prince suffered a stroke on Wednesday.

Correction (2/2/08): Mr. Prince suffered a minor stroke on Sunday and was released on Wednesday. My apologies for the error.

While I bet virtually no one remembers Prince's very first Rialto credit -- assistant stage manager for the 1950 revue Tickets, Please! -- the living legend has since gone on to please millions and millions of ticket holders worldwide with his deft touch on some of the most beloved stage shows of all time, a veritable what's what in live theatre.

Just last year, I was thrilled to see Prince dining at a table next to mine at a SoHo restaurant. While I dared not interrupt, I couldn't help look on with admiration. I found myself thinking how tremendously his talent has contributed so much to my own personal enlightenment, understanding and appreciation since seeing my very first Hal Prince-helmed Broadway production, the short-lived flop Roza with Georgia Brown , all the way back in 1987.

Here's wishing Mr. Prince a speedy and complete recovery.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 02 February, 2008, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

Here, here SOB. I have seen Mr. Prince many, many times having dinner at Angus McIndoe's or just in the district - taking in a show or heading to dinner. I always got a kick out of him being at Angus between 6:30 and 8:00 when the hordes of ticket holders start lining up very early at Phantom - I couldn't help think that he must have delighted in seeing them (or maybe he was counting the $ signs in his head.) Indeed, Godspeed Mr. Prince.

 
At 02 February, 2008, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Sarah, Why am I not surprised that you've seen Mr. Prince many, many times. I would have been much more surprised had you never seen him. While I may not have enjoyed every one of his productions, I sure give him enormous credit for all the ones that have enthralled me. Here's looking forward to being enthralled yet again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner