Thursday, August 30, 2007

High Anxiety Over What Follows Young Frankenstein?

High Anxiety Over What Follows Young Frankenstein?

With Young Frankenstein nearly ready for prime time on the Great White Way, what will Mel Brooks & Co. do for an encore?

Many have assumed that a stage adaptation of "Blazing Saddles" would be next. Not so fast.

In a New York magazine profile on Brooks, Boris Kachka says of the comedic genius, "More ambiguous is his reaction when I tell him that I’ve heard he’s considering adapting the broader, bawdier Blazing Saddles."

Indeed, in a Bloomberg story by Philip Boroff, Brooks collaborator Thomas Meehan says, "It could be 'High Anxiety'....That's the leading candidate."

Hat tip to regular SOB reader Esther, for pointing me toward the two stories.

This is Steve On Broadway (SOB).

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 30 August, 2007, Blogger Sarah B. Roberts said...

I vote for "Silent Movie". Bernadette can reprise her role as Vilma. And it will be cheap to produce - no lyricist. ;)

 
At 31 August, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shoutout Steve!

I was a little surprised by Thomas Meehan's comment. I would have expected him to say "Blazing Saddles." I think it's the better known of the two, and it's the one I'd love to see next. But I haven't watched "High Anxiety" in a long time, so maybe that's a better fit for a musical. Maybe Mel could actually have two shows on Broadway at one time. Hey, Disney does it!

 
At 31 August, 2007, Blogger Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Sarah, As long as it's not "Spaceballs." I watched "Silent Movie" not long ago and personally didn't find it aged very well.

Esther, I always appreciate all the great tidbits you seem to unearth. Thanks so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory Blog Directory & Search engine
Visitor Map

Powered by FeedBurner